Few GF3 posts

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow!!! Not many new subjects or posts on the GF3. I think people were more hyped prior to this. Maybe Mac getting first dibs helped kill this also. I have a feeling there will only be a few squables when the tests and actual release happens.

I really want to see if my new link come up right and how it looks.

Glutzie

Join the Seti Team!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

robtheg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think part of the "disappointment" is due to the shear level of technology in that new chip. Most of it probably won't be utilized anytime soon. It's like someone handing you the Stealth Bomber and saying "have fun". At first you get so excited you lose all control and have to change your underwear, but then reality sets in and then you ask "how do I use this thing?"
It would be better to close your eyes for about a year and let the software dudes catch up. When you open them.......3 pairs of underwear.

---
Want to get a 100% interest rate on your computer investment?...Stick your money in the bank!

G

Think about all the games that are comming out within next months (Especially online wise: Anarchy-Online, Shadowbane, UO2)...now realize the Ge3 won't be able to utilize all of it's features in these games, nor will they be using all the dirextX8.0 features....now look at the price tag? Excited about using the card right now?

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

robtheg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMEN!

---
Want to get a 100% interest rate on your computer investment?...Stick your money in the bank!

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah, I agree. I'll bet the games based on GF3 technology aren't even released until Christmas or late summer. Sucks. Well, at least game developers will have adequate access to the technology.

-MP Jesse

G

"Well, at least game developers will have adequate access to the technology."

Nice touch...

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So what do y'all think of the Anti-Aliasing?

Hmmm . . . I've got 2 things:

1) If the frame rate for Q3 is aprox. 70+ what will it be for the new game sshen their here? So much for that.

2) In reality who sees that stuff when your flying in a first person shooter anyway.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
I think the AA is the best thing coming out of the GF3 in the near term. While it may not be useful in your typical fragfest, I think it will very cool in games like AO, where the scenery plays an important role. Still, its hard to justify the initial price tag .

-------------------------------------
Nature abhors a moron. -- HL Mencken

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Someones handing out stealth bombers? where? where? me wants one!!!

Its an interesting analogy there, but I think it is rather different, because the developers have had quite a while to tinker around with dx8, (basically the microsoft-nvidia partnership API for the GF3). DX8 Games should be on the horizon, and should be hitting us quite soon. If that still seems dissapointing, Let be known that the card also has a powerful T&L engine to drive todays up and comming DX7 T&L games.

As for the price, I dont think its gonna be as high as everyones babbles. Its got a lot of subsidised technology + its helped create a deal with apple, which also should be bringing in the cash. So, they can afford to go a bit easy on the pc consumers.

mousepotato

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2001
The thing I find most interesting about the Ge3 is the effect it will have on the Ge2 Ultra. Maybe I will finally be able to afford one! Don't get me wrong, I would love a Ge3, but I'm not made of money.

-'Tater