Question Few issues after undervolting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
Alright, so after I updated my legion 7i bios to H1CN51WW, I felt Like I was getting worse performance in my games. So, I looked up videos on youtube on how to speed up your computer (I didn't the do dumb things, like registry edits). After that, I downloaded 3Dmark and ran the timespy benchmark. I asked some people about my score and and they said I was thermal throttling. So, I downloaded XTU and undervolted my CPU, which can cause lots of shutdowns because it can cause instabilities. One time, just for the funny, moved the bar on the undervolt setting all the way to the left, which obviously shut down my computer immediately. Luckily it turned back on and it was back to normal. After some more tuning and some more shutdowns later, one of the shutdowns caused windows to automatically do a CHKDSK thing after it booted back up. After that, I found the perfect undervolt, but was getting worse performance in my games, so I changed the settings back to deafualt and deleted XTU. But even after I did that, I was still getting the same performance in my games. To make things worse, every time I right clicked on my screen I saw this. I don't know what to do now, I did an sfc /scannow and it said I was fine. Should I just accept the fact I destroyed my PC? Should I figure out how to reset the bios? Or should I load a restore point that was made before I started using XTU? Or maybe I should run dism, dskchk, and a few other commands mentioned in thio joe videos?

PC specs:
Legion 7i 16ITHg6
RTX 3080
core i9 11980HK
32GB RAM
2x1TB ram
Windows 11
idk what else to put

Last edited:
Solution
Even if you have two identical PCs, they perform differently. So, you can't look other PCs as a whole. What you could compare, is individual hardware (e.g GPU), but even then, two same SKU hardware can perform differently.

Well.... if it's stupid game, why play it? :LOL:

In any event;

Source: https://www.roblox.com/games/292439477/Phantom-Forces

That "balance change" could've unbalanced the game on your system. Or made the game slower in general.

Either it's the game or your system issue. E.g high thermals or bloatware/malware in the system. Or all of them.

Alright, I was finally able to take my computer to a repair store. All they said was that there was some cat hair stuck in the fans and also the thermal paste...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't the do dumb things

Sure you did. Prime example:
One time, just for the funny, moved the bar on the undervolt setting all the way to the left, which obviously shut down my computer immediately.

-----

To make things worse, every time I right clicked on my screen I saw this.

Looks like GPU artifact.

Should I just accept the fact I destroyed my PC?

This would be a fair statement.

Should I figure out how to reset the bios?

This is easy, just clear CMOS. And this would be one of the 3 fixes i'd also suggest.

Other two are:
  1. Clean Win install.
  2. After clear CMOS and clean Win install still doesn't help, haul your laptop to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics and fix.

Life lesson: don't do dumb things. Even just for the "funny".

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
could this be caused by the fact I updated my graphics drivers to 528.02?

Could be. There can be bad drivers as well.

To see if this is an issue, uninstall your GPU drivers with DDU and install version or two older drivers.

Sometimes, even i've had to do this, when latest drivers doesn't want to work with my setup. I'll get older drivers, that work, and once even newer version comes out, i'll skip the "bad" version.

Thanks for the help?

Doing "funny" can cost money, sometimes. Though, this is the best kind of teacher, since when you mess up, it will hit you hard to the most sensitive spot - your wallet.

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
Doing "funny" can cost money, sometimes. Though, this is the best kind of teacher, since when you mess up, it will hit you hard to the most sensitive spot - your wallet.
I'm sorry for not sounding grateful for your help. I'm the true idiot here for getting into this mess in the first place, but my brain can't seem to recognize that. I understand you were not trying to criticise me, but rather teach me that what I did was utterly idiotic and to not do this next time. I'm going to try loading an earlier restore point before taking apart my laptop or clean installing windows, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Reactions: Aeacus

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
I'm sorry for not sounding grateful for your help. I'm the true idiot here for getting into this mess in the first place, but my brain can't seem to recognize that. I understand you were not trying to criticise me, but rather teach me that what I did was utterly idiotic and to not do this next time. I'm going to try loading an earlier restore point before taking apart my laptop or clean installing windows, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.
alright, I loaded a restore point before the XTU installs, I'm not noticing much of a difference, but I did this just a few minutes ago. I'll use it for a little bit and see if it all runs the same as before. If it is just running the same, then sucks for me, I'll just have to be happy with what I got (it's at least better than my brother's hand me down razer laptop). Or hell, maybe this is all in my mind!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You say that you are not happy with gaming performance on your laptop. To what you actually compare your laptop against, whereby you come to a conclusion that you have reduced gaming performance? A desktop PC running RTX 3080?

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
You say that you are not happy with gaming performance on your laptop. To what you actually compare your laptop against, whereby you come to a conclusion that you have reduced gaming performance? A desktop PC running RTX 3080?
I think it may be running slower compared to other laptops with the same specs, based on the timespy benchmarks (possibly because my pc could be thermal throttling and I just need to clean my fans), and I feel like it's running slower than normal, BUT maybe it's because the game I'm playing on roblox called phantom forces (YES I DO PLAY STUPID LEGO GAME) got a new update, and maybe the update caused optimization issues. Possibly I assumed the worse performance means I did something to my computer, rather than roblox being a piece of crap in terms of optimization, but I think I need to do more testing before I can come to a conclusion.

What I'm planning to do soon is going to some pc repair store and I think I'll ask them to clear the cmos and clean my fans, mostly because I'm not confident with my skills at taking apart a computer.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I think it may be running slower compared to other laptops with the same specs, based on the timespy benchmarks

Even if you have two identical PCs, they perform differently. So, you can't look other PCs as a whole. What you could compare, is individual hardware (e.g GPU), but even then, two same SKU hardware can perform differently.

BUT maybe it's because the game I'm playing on roblox called phantom forces (YES I DO PLAY STUPID LEGO GAME) got a new update, and maybe the update caused optimization issues.

In any event;
[Update 7.0.1]
AR platform remodel and additions
Various balance changes and attachment issue fixes
Merged test place content with main production

That "balance change" could've unbalanced the game on your system. Or made the game slower in general.

and I feel like it's running slower than normal

Either it's the game or your system issue. E.g high thermals or bloatware/malware in the system. Or all of them.

TendoCats

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021

In any event;

Alright, I was finally able to take my computer to a repair store. All they said was that there was some cat hair stuck in the fans and also the thermal paste needed to be replaced. It oddly enough did not make a difference in the 3Dmark score and temps, but the guy there said that the per core temperature was much lower than before with his own testing.

IN CONCLUSION:
If your computer is running slower than normal and you keep your computer well optimized, then it's probably a new windows update/game update/driver update that's causing it. I'm definetly disapointed that there was no major performance difference, but at least I got that cat fur out!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.