[SOLVED] Few keys not working after some time in Win10

alto123

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello All,

I am getting a strange problem in Windows 10. Few keys stop working after sometime of windows login, may be 10-15 mins. Those keys are totally non-responsive. Keys include - left ctrl, del, F2, num5 [numpad keys work fine] etc. My windows is up to date with all patches installed. When I attach a USB keyboard, it works fine with no problem, all keys work fine. Problem is only at laptop attached keyboard. I have tried updating keyboard driver, no update available. I have updated all other drivers also. But no solution.
Please reply.

Solution
I have installed a new video editing software, this may be the reason.

did it add anything to startup?

If you have everything still shut off at startup, and its only windows loading at startup, and it still does happens, it makes me wonder if it happens in safe mode although working in safe mode is restrictive.

Another way to test if it might be hardware isntead of drivers is see if you get same behaviour running off a UBUNTU live USB - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview - but as its not something you can make happen, it could be a long time to see if it does or doesn't happen

Because it could be the kb on laptop that is problem, especially since it doesn't happen if you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Something tells me its not software. If the USB keyboard works fine but one on laptop doesn't, it makes me think its not a software conflict. It could be though...

What make/model laptop?

alto123

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Something tells me its not software. If the USB keyboard works fine but one on laptop doesn't, it makes me think its not a software conflict. It could be though...

What make/model laptop?
Hi, I tried to clean boot, now the problem is not occurring. I am using it for 2 days, but so far touchwood, no issue as of now. What should I do now? Enable the drivers one by one from system configuration to see which one is the culprit? Please guide.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, according to the instructions you went into the task manager/start up tab and disabled a few programs here, as well as the Msconfig/services tab.

I would start with the Task manager tab and enable one of those per day, it should help identify which of them was causing the original problem. If need be, go into msconfig and start a few of the stopped processes there but they should be started once the programs added to start tab.

then once you know which it is, we can go find a replacement or newer version.

alto123

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Well, according to the instructions you went into the task manager/start up tab and disabled a few programs here, as well as the Msconfig/services tab.

I would start with the Task manager tab and enable one of those per day, it should help identify which of them was causing the original problem. If need be, go into msconfig and start a few of the stopped processes there but they should be started once the programs added to start tab.

then once you know which it is, we can go find a replacement or newer version.
I was also thinking to start one by one from task manager to see how it goes.
One question would like to ask, as the laptop is running fine with clean boot. What will happen if I continue with it without enabling task manager/services?

Colif

Win 11 Master
One question would like to ask, as the laptop is running fine with clean boot. What will happen if I continue with it without enabling task manager/services?

nothing. All you did was stop startup programs, windows doesn't need them to function, so its really just whatever functions those programs performed that aren't auto starting. Some programs like my anti virus will auto start themselves based on a scheduled task that runs every minute while PC is on. So removing them from Start menu isn't an option as they don't appear there.

If you are happy to use PC without them, you don't need them really.

alto123

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
nothing. All you did was stop startup programs, windows doesn't need them to function, so its really just whatever functions those programs performed that aren't auto starting. Some programs like my anti virus will auto start themselves based on a scheduled task that runs every minute while PC is on. So removing them from Start menu isn't an option as they don't appear there.

If you are happy to use PC without them, you don't need them really.
Ok, but I stopped all services from System Configuration also, after hiding Microsoft services. I think the stopped services are drivers. Do I need specific drivers or services to run my machine, such as from Intel or Realtek or Nvidia? But I must say the system is running very fine now without any issue, and it is faster also.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Services aren't drivers, only way to stop drivers loading is via safe mode.
Services can be apps that assist drivers, but they don't have the same amount of access to hardware as drivers do. You should be fine keeping them off if PC is better without them.

Services do not run in Kernel mode. They often do run at a higher privilege level than Administrator (the NT_AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account,) but still in userland. Drivers, especially in Vista and later, more often than not will also run in userland (with the exception of graphics card drivers
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...es-between-windows-service-and-windows-driver

alto123

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Services aren't drivers.....
Hi Colif,
I am starting the laptop after few days, it was in sleep mode. Now after starting again same set of keys are not working. I have restarted the machine, but issue persists. I have checked system configuration and startup services. All are disabled. Now it seems system config services or startup services is not the issue. Need your opinion and help.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

did it add anything to startup?

If you have everything still shut off at startup, and its only windows loading at startup, and it still does happens, it makes me wonder if it happens in safe mode although working in safe mode is restrictive.

Another way to test if it might be hardware isntead of drivers is see if you get same behaviour running off a UBUNTU live USB - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview - but as its not something you can make happen, it could be a long time to see if it does or doesn't happen

Because it could be the kb on laptop that is problem, especially since it doesn't happen if you plug USB KB in.
What make/model laptop is it?

Solution