Few questions about my overclock

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Hello everyone,
First time overclocker here, and I have a few questions. I'm running an i5-8600k on a Asus Z370-F board with Corsair H115i Pro cooling. I got a 5GHz overclock by setting the adaptive voltage to 1.325v, LLC5, Speedstep on, AVX -2, and C-States to auto. I ran AIDA64 @1.285v for an hour and everything passed, so I moved onto P95 and it crashed until I reached the 1.325v to make it stable. I'm wondering if, since P95 is unrealistic, would running 1.285v instead of 1.325v be better? Also, I have HWMonitor on constantly and it's showing that while browsing YouTube my CPU goes from 800Mhz to 5GHz and 0.705v to 1.325v. I know this is SpeedStep working it's magic, but why is it still hitting 5Ghz @ 1.325v? The utilisation is only around 10%. It only hits it for a second, goes back to low voltage/speed then returns to 1.325v. It happens quite a lot. Last question is, which do I look at- VCORE or VIN? My VCORE says 1.312v maximum on HWMonitor but the VIN is 1.325v.

Solution
I'm wondering if, since P95 is unrealistic, would running 1.285v instead of 1.325v be better?
You have to make your system absolutely stable. There's a chance you might crash midway during a game, while encoding video or etc. While I was adjusting my offset, it crashed during shut down even though it had passed prime95. BTW, you're fine till 1.4v. You should be worried about keeping your temps below 80c.

Also, I have HWMonitor on constantly and it's showing that while browsing YouTube my CPU goes from 800Mhz to 5GHz and 0.705v to 1.325v.
Your CPU might be using 5.0GHz but it's not maxing it utilization or power usage. Also, when programs are opening, (like a youtube video) they use everything possible to speed it up. So...

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I'm wondering if, since P95 is unrealistic, would running 1.285v instead of 1.325v be better?
You have to make your system absolutely stable. There's a chance you might crash midway during a game, while encoding video or etc. While I was adjusting my offset, it crashed during shut down even though it had passed prime95. BTW, you're fine till 1.4v. You should be worried about keeping your temps below 80c.

Also, I have HWMonitor on constantly and it's showing that while browsing YouTube my CPU goes from 800Mhz to 5GHz and 0.705v to 1.325v.
Your CPU might be using 5.0GHz but it's not maxing it utilization or power usage. Also, when programs are opening, (like a youtube video) they use everything possible to speed it up. So you hit the max speed for a sec. No need to worry about it. It's normal. You can also lock it at max frequency using performance mode from power options.

which do I look at- VCORE or VIN? My VCORE says 1.312v maximum on HWMonitor but the VIN is 1.325v
You should look at VID under CPU > Voltages tab. VCore, VIN or ... on HWMonitor are related to Mobo voltages.

Solution

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Thanks for the helpful information. I fixed my CPU hitting 1.325v when browsing by going to my power plan in Windows and setting it from "Balanced" to "Power Saver". Now it only runs at 800Mhz.