xKetjow

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2016
Hi. I've just built my new PC with these specs:

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
16GB DDR4 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z

And I've got a few questions about it.

1. What should my CPU be running at in terms of temperature? I've never had an AMD CPU so i'm not sure, but currently, when idle, it runs between 50-55 degrees. I've tested it in 2 games (League of Legends and Minecraft). In LoL, it was at 60, then when I opened three Chrome tabs with YouTube videos & Twitch streams, it went up to 63, but on Minecraft, it reached 67-70. Is this safe, or should I try to make them lower somehow?

2. I've noticed that my PC sometimes makes a hissing noise for a few seconds and i'm not quite sure what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2019
Are you using a stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler? Are you overclocking your CPU? These points are important if you want to know about safe operating temperatures...😃

Hi. I've just built my new PC with these specs:

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
16GB DDR4 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z

And I've got a few questions about it.

1. What should my CPU be running at in terms of temperature? I've never had an AMD CPU so i'm not sure, but currently, when idle, it runs between 50-55 degrees. I've tested it in 2 games (League of Legends and Minecraft). In LoL, it was at 60, then when I opened three Chrome tabs with YouTube videos & Twitch streams, it went up to 63, but on Minecraft, it reached 67-70. Is this safe, or should I try to make them lower somehow?

2. I've noticed that my PC sometimes makes a hissing noise for a few seconds and i'm not quite sure what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks!
No idea about "hissing noise" but your temperatures are fine.

xKetjow

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2016
I think you should not use an stock cooler and go for an aftermarket cooler because those temperatures are on the warmer side. I think your hard drive would have been making that hissing noise🤔
Do you know of any fairly cheap aftermarket coolers for it? I was considering getting the 212 Evo.

It might've been yeah, didn't really think of the HDD being the culprit tbh. I did a bit of digging around and I think it may also be the whine coil/coil whine. I tested it on a few games with different FPS, and on League of Legends with 60 FPS, I can barely hear it, but when I set the FPS to uncapped, my FPS jumps to about 300 and I can hear it more, so I think it may be that too.

Thanks for the reply

Jul 14, 2019
Do you know of any fairly cheap aftermarket coolers for it? I was considering getting the 212 Evo.

It might've been yeah, didn't really think of the HDD being the culprit tbh. I did a bit of digging around and I think it may also be the whine coil/coil whine. I tested it on a few games with different FPS, and on League of Legends with 60 FPS, I can barely hear it, but when I set the FPS to uncapped, my FPS jumps to about 300 and I can hear it more, so I think it may be that too.

Thanks for the reply
Yes, it can be the coil whine. I think the Hyper 212 is a good choice. But it looks ugly to me. So i prefer the Hyper 212 RGB Black which is a Beautiful (and cheap) Hyper 212 and keeps CPU's very cool🙂🙂

xKetjow

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2016
Yes, it can be the coil whine. I think the Hyper 212 is a good choice. But it looks ugly to me. So i prefer the Hyper 212 RGB Black which is a Beautiful (and cheap) Hyper 212 and keeps CPU's very cool🙂🙂
Fair enough, I'm not that bothered about aesthetics as long as it does it's job well :p

As a side question, not entirely related to my main one, do you know anything about Precision Boost or Core Boost? I read that disabling them helps with temperature at the cost of performance which i'm not really that bothered about I don't think.

I was also considering undervolting but I have no idea how to do that or where to start.

Thanks for the reply!