Few questions with a Mini-ITX Build

HertzKnight

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
So I am making a PC for my Living room mainly for streaming and some steam games. I am also upgrading my graphics card in my main machine (I am looking at this GTX770) mainly due to the free Borderlands the pre-sequel) and putting the old XFX 6750 in my build. Here is what I got so far. I will be using Windows 7.

Parts List

I am a bit worried about the i3 and bottle necking in the future. I could go with the cheap i5 (Intel Core i5-4460), but as this is going to be hooked up to my Samsung LED TV I am not sure if it will be as necessary. Also beyond the Fractal and the bitfenix prodigy, are there any other cases I should look at?

I am planning to try out the mini-ITX build at LAN parties though using the GTX 770. As it will be no where near as hard or heavy to take and bring to parties. I have a 750 W PSU I would swap out if I need to.

Solution
I made a few changes that made sense to me from a best bang for buck standpoint. The i3 is stronger than it gets credit for, and would work for a while, but I think you would eventually want to upgrade it. I went ahead with an i5 because it would be a long time(if ever) before you wanted to upgrade it. I switched the Samsung ssd for an equally reliable and slower(but not noticeably so) Crucial ssd because it's $20 less. I scrapped the CM 212 because it is just not necessary here. That saved another $20. Those two moves alone almost make up the $ difference between the i3 and i5. I saved another $30 by adding the Cooler Master Elite 130 case. It really is a solid little case. Great buy for under $40. I have used it before and I can...

Shadeslayer110

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Alright, that is a decent build.

1. You should go with the i5. The bottlenecking may be a concern, so its better to stay on the safe side.
2. I would recommend you to switch the hard drive from the seagate to a WD Caviar Blue because Seagate has a higher failure rate, but it is up to you. http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411074425&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+caviar+blue

3. You should go with the 750W PSU as the 770 says that it may use more than 500W

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I made a few changes that made sense to me from a best bang for buck standpoint. The i3 is stronger than it gets credit for, and would work for a while, but I think you would eventually want to upgrade it. I went ahead with an i5 because it would be a long time(if ever) before you wanted to upgrade it. I switched the Samsung ssd for an equally reliable and slower(but not noticeably so) Crucial ssd because it's $20 less. I scrapped the CM 212 because it is just not necessary here. That saved another $20. Those two moves alone almost make up the $ difference between the i3 and i5. I saved another $30 by adding the Cooler Master Elite 130 case. It really is a solid little case. Great buy for under $40. I have used it before and I can recommend it. Then I upgraded to a much much better psu. I would not get that Corsair 500w model. Especially if you're wanting to use a GTX770.

Overall, I was able to come out $3 cheaper than your parts for what I feel like is a pretty good upgrade.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q3xPvK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q3xPvK/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $553.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 17:08 EDT-0400

edit: I really like the Corsair 250D case too.

Solution