Fewer Posters?

The changes drove me away for awhile. While the changes look nice, for me at least, readability has gone way down. Too much empty space. Spotting thread titles and number of posts was much quicker. It was simple big text for thread title and number of replies. With glaring visual cues for unanswered threads.

Even when viewing a thread. There are these itty bitty posts with tiny fonts. Then a huge gulf of open signature space and larger fonts. Sometimes with huge gifs. It reminds me of forums where people talk about sports or weight lifting. There were gifs and signatures before. But they didn't feel quite as prominent.

Perhaps it's the fault of the stats view under the user name that makes for the huge signature space. I'd rather just hide signatures and stats. Just see the profile picture, name and rank. Not sure if rank is correct. Back when you could set the badge under your name.

It's too much distraction. It makes it difficult to concentrate. Thus I'm less likely to answer a query. I'd assume there are others with a similar problem.

I'm just hoping the promised themes will bring something like the old forum or even the prior forum. I'm more interested in function over form.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Perhaps it's the fault of the stats view under the user name that makes for the huge signature space. I'd rather just hide signatures and stats. Just see the profile picture, name and rank. Not sure if rank is correct. Back when you could set the badge under your name.
Go to your preferences, change Style to UI.X Material, and uncheck the option to show signatures.

Reactions: velocityg4

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Is it just my imagination, or have there been fewer posters here since the format change? Less traffic?

We have lost some, as any migration causes. But in addition a lot of that lost traffic was spam that is now being nipped before it even shows. The software that is used to block spammers and problem people is MUCH more robust and helps us keep spam, blacklisted people, etc out of the site.

We have lost a couple regulars, some luddites who can't handle change, some others that can't just be a little patient to let the bugs work out. On our side (admin) this new forum is a MASSIVE difference for good, there is so much more we can do. And on top of that its much more reliable so ridiculous issues and requests we couldn't honor (like changing names and emails) we had in the past are now gone.

Since there isn't a forms option for all the articles I'd like to comment on I don't post as often and when I do I use the jump command an quickly see if there is anything I might be interested in. When they fix the comment section issue I'm sure it will be back to a more normal volume.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is it just my imagination, or have there been fewer posters here since the format change? Less traffic?

it depends on which sub forums you visit, some of them like Apps and Laptop used to get posts from both Toms Hardware and Toms Guide, but since the change in software, TG is now a separate Forum and posts are no longer in 2 places at once, so it may seem like there is less traffic when in essence, its the same, just in 2 places now.