Fiat Chrysler Launching Bug Bounty Program To Improve Car Cybersecurity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely support connected cars. "Disconnect them" is an incorrect reaction, from my point of view. We shiuld try to connect more and more, as it's clear that's where society and technology is heading.

But I will NOT drive/ride a heavily connected car for at least 10-15 years, depending on how these issues evolve.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
I feel that a halfway stage is needed, you can have connected cars, but the important controls for the car should be isolated from the connected part, so that the hacker could only take control of things like the radio, rather than everything

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
The best solution is to have the entertainment/navigation system with the LCD, etc. have wi-fi access, and have the engine and driving electronics isolated ("air-gapped" in IT lingo).

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Most of the connected stuff in cars is just gimmick and a distraction making them less safe. Most people use their cell phones for everything making the functions connected cars have redundant. Also connected cars and their GPS will allow governments to spy on you at all times.

The other option would be to physically disconnect the wifi antenna cable to be 100% certain you are safe :p

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Ugg. This is why I haven't bought any cars newer than 1994... YES 1994... Why? OBDII. OBDII was the beginning of the downhill slippery slope. However, I still have all the gee wiz bang internet connection for all my portable devices via hotspot built into the dash. And I have a touchscreen gauge cluster as well.
Anyways, I prefer complete control of my vehicle. Keep the internet out of ma ECM!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
One of the major advancements in car safety is electronic braking over hydraulic braking. Now instead of a single brake fluid source going from the master cylinder to each brake caliper, there is a separate control per caliper. Although there is a greater risk of failure to 1 brake caliper, failure is not catastrophic as there are still 3 working calipers. Passengers are also a lot more likely today to survive an accident than 10 years ago.
I don't think manufacturers will separate the drive-train from the technology packages for a simple reason. Remote start. Customers are getting accustomed to turning on their car and setting their temperature controls from their phone before they even get close to their vehicle.
It is possible to secure this with only local area type connections like Blue-tooth/wifi, or with disconnecting these technology features when the vehicle is in gear.

actually disagree to some extent. hyd brake systems are designed as two independent systems (even the master cylinder is split into two systems) and some even were designed as a three way system. so even if one line brakes you still have at least half your system. electronic brakes do not have four independent systems they are still tied together in a few points so they can still all fail at once. (consider an alternator failure that burns up the electrical system) you now have no brakes(electric brakes are not designed as fail safe, they do not self apply when power is cut to them). hyd brakes are usable even under failure of any other system/computer. actually the safest fail safe system is air brakes. they self apply using very heavy springs if anything cuts air to them. yes there are benefits to electric brakes but even driving my truck with electric trailer brakes. the hydraulic system allways responds faster then the electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts