[SOLVED] Fiber 1Gb internet, only gives 300-350 download / 110 upload

Mar 30, 2021
Hello all interested,

i have recently "upgraded" to a fiber internet with AT&T with guaranteed speeds of 1000Mbs up and down.
My problems started when I typed AT&T, but the real problem is I am not receiving 1Gb internet speeds.
51084713207_76a203d561_o.png

Here is my current status, I am using a PCIE network card that does 10/100/1000 Mbs. I have full duplex option selected, I purchased a brand new ethernet cord that supports upto 10gb speeds. I've removed drives, reinstalled drives, switched different lan ports selection since my MOBO port can also do 1Gb.
I'm at a major loss, AT&T customer support is terrible, they only tell me to restart the router because they see im RECIEVING 980Mbs. But, into my hardware im getting nothing.

[[EDIT]]
here is my system components
51084725877_f1d74a31b4_o.png

Solution
I do not know how to do this, not familiare at all with anything LINUX related
It's easy. :)

Download this iso:
https://www.spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.2_public.iso

Then write it to a CD. Or to a usb with rufus:

Then boot the cd or usb and you'll have a live linux os running in ram that doesn't touch anything on the computer. Run a speed test using the browser there.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
If you havent already, disable some of the features in advanced adapter options for your ethernet (Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Change adapter settings | | right click on your ethernet connection and click properties.) If you want higher speeds you should probably disable some of these options if you havent already, since getting rid of stuff makes things faster. Most of the stuff in these properties are for tracking and giving microsoft personal data anyways. Like, as an example. The 'QoS Packet Scheduler' (QoS = Quality of Service) is something microsoft has enabled by default, not only is it a privacy risk, but it has been proven that it hogs up 20% of your speed. The properties you want to disable is up to you. Just know that you NEED IPV4 enabled. also, from this same window, you can click Configure>Advanced and youll find a list of options that you might want to disable, some of them being energy saving options and speed caps, etc.

Mar 30, 2021
I would start with a different cable.
Cat5e, 25-50 meters.

"Cat8" is magically unknown. No matter what the ad text says.

And why not the ethernet port already existing on the motherboard?
I already have that type of cable in use before the new one, same difference. To humor you I just purchased one online im getting tomorrow, ill try everything since what im doing is obviously wrong. The one in my motherboard gives same results as my PCIE , same difference again on that front.

Mar 30, 2021
I made contact with ASUS support, they gave me a file for their most stable LAN network driver and I installed it how they told me and tried it [the test above is with the driver change] and nothing of significance to report.

What happens if you plug directly into the modem without the router.

When you get higher upload than download this many times is a issue with with the internet connection and not your router. Have you tried different devices to be sure it is not something with the PC causing it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like he just has that unified router/gateway device. I'm guessing there isn't a dedicated router outside of this.

1. Have you tried motherboard LAN port? Curious as to why a PCI-e card and not onboard
  2. Have you tried a different server on speedtest.net? When I test, there is usually a server I can get a ping of less than 10, but maybe just me.
  3. Have you checked/updated motherboard drivers?
  4. Have you tried moving your NIC to a different PCI slot? Just to see?

Mar 30, 2021
I thought you said you where using a asus router. Which model of asus accepts a fiber input.
here is what i typed: I made contact with ASUS support, they gave me a file for their most stable LAN network driver
I am talking about the ethernet plug on my motherboard. my MOBO is asus. my router is the one from at&t .

I see.
I strongly suspect it is the internet connection. The ATT router should be able to easily run gigabit speeds. Almost any modern router can. I would be sure you have not configured any firewall or QoS rules, the default config with only the wifi passwords set is the best to start with.

Do you have another device you can test with. Att will blame your pc if you call them. Even a phone conneted via wifi should be able to get faster speedtest numbers than that if you are close to the router.

Mar 30, 2021
Sounds like he just has that unified router/gateway device. I'm guessing there isn't a dedicated router outside of this.

1. Have you tried motherboard LAN port? Curious as to why a PCI-e card and not onboard
Ive tried that also yes, same results or worse sometimes.
  1. Have you tried a different server on speedtest.net? When I test, there is usually a server I can get a ping of less than 10, but maybe just me.
    yah i used at&t one and thats it, worse results
  2. Have you checked/updated motherboard drivers?
    do you mean BIOs updates? i have not. i updated drivers in general yes
  3. Have you tried moving your NIC to a different PCI slot? Just to see?
    does this mean moving my PCIE network card

Another thought since asus tends to bundle crap "gamer" network accelerators with many of their motherboards. You want to uninstall this software if your nic is killer based you will actually have to load different drivers. This software causes bottlenecks on very high speed connections and has very little use since it can not affect traffic outside the machine.

I am directly plugged into the router via Ethernet. My laptop::: https://www.newegg.com/titanium-blu...uh-210-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155721 <--- this one can achieve speeds of 770-880 Mbs same with upload. so I can figure its something wrong in my Desktop build.
I agree that it is something with your desktop. I would like us to confirm it so then we know it for certain.

Boot up a linux live cd/usb and run the speed test there. If you're getting full speeds, then your hardware, cabling, and Internet are fine and it's just a windows issue we got to ferret out. :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Have you tried moving your NIC to a different PCI slot? Just to see?

does this mean moving my PCIE network card

Yes, to a different motherboard slot.

There is also the simple possibility that you aren't getting the speeds you signed up for - did the installer check speed and throughputs after they completed setup?

Also, in your first screenshot it shows your NIC connectivity - this only shows the local network connectivity, i.e. between your PC and your router, which shows 1.0 gbps, so we know you are getting at least that connection. This is not an indicator of your 'internet' speed. Windows is pretty conservative with networking, so if you had a bad NIC or cable, you'd likely see this not hitting 1 gig.