Question Fiber cable, multiple distinct networks ?

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
Hello everybody and thanks for your valuable tips.
I have two distinct network in my offices, one for surveillance system and a vpn. I have to tie far distance devices to either vpn and the other network. Can i use a single fiber cable without them interfere each other? Thanks a lot

Assuming you're talking about a fiber pair, then Yes. Use a CWDM to separate different wave lengths and then use SFP modules for propriate wave length and power on each side of the fiber.

However this is professional equipment and need planning for it to work. You must check with the manufacturer of the equipment to ensure the SFP module intended to use in fact can be used. If not, the connection may be unstable. This is the explanation I got from a supplier where I work when we went into trouble with fibre connection drop out after half a year uptime.

The above answer is the most correct if you "really" mean you are going to run fiber between 2 locations.

I suspect because most people on this form are smaller users and because most people who actually run fiber already know the above information you are asking something else.

Maybe a little better explanation as to what you are trying to do, if it really is a fiber CWDM is the answer.

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
Hello and thanks you for Reply. Yes i have to connect two promises places 300 m far from each other. I have devices to be connected to different network s:
surveillance camera s to a simple web internet

Monitoring system, plant plc to company software vpn. This have firewall safeguard.

These two Lan must not conflict, overlap or interfere each other.
Transferred data are different

kanewolf

Titan
Hello and thanks you for Reply. Yes i have to connect two promises places 300 m far from each other. I have devices to be connected to different network s:
surveillance camera s to a simple web internet

Monitoring system, plant plc to company software vpn. This have firewall safeguard.

These two Lan must not conflict, overlap or interfere each other.
Transferred data are different
The question that needs to be asked is, do these two networks need to be isolated from each other?
If the answer is yes, then the typical implementation would be a managed switch at each end of the fiber with VLANs. Cameras are in VLAN10 and other traffic is in VLAN20 (for example). The switch remote switch has a trunk port (the fiber port) that allows both VLAN10 and 20. The core switch gets VLAN10 and 20 in on fiber and sends them to unique output ports to keep them separated.

The cost of fiber is not significantly different between single mode and multimode fiber. The optics for single mode may be slightly more expensive, but if you use single mode fiber, you can increase you bandwidth without worrying if the fiber can handle it. 300M is at the extreme end for 10GE on multimode (OM3) fiber.

Reactions: Grobe
If you are going to have fiber run professionally then just do it the simple way and use different fibers. The cost is generally the installation fee. The cost to run a fiber with 1 pair is not that much different than have 3 pair. A 6 strand fiber cable is a very common fiber cable that is run.

This makes everything physically separate and you do not have to know any fancy technology you just plug the different fibers strands into the different networks.

Reactions: Grobe