[SOLVED] Fiber media converter XGSPON

Walkon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015
Hello all

I recently moved into a new flat and got a new fiber contract.

The contract came with a Zyxel AX7501-B0 dual band router (XGSPON VoIP IAD)

The box works and Im getting expected speeds (>1000Mbs) however the fiber connection is in the utility room so that's where the WIFI router is. However most of the house including office and living room is only able to connect to the 2.5Ghz band getting between 50 and 100Mbs.
The previous tenants had a Fiber media conversion terminal(MCT) from Connection technologies systems (CVT03112W2A(SM-10)) which converted the fiber signal to ethernet and routed the signal to ethernet ports in the living room and office.
So their setup would have been Fiber out>MCT>Ethernet ports>Wifi router> various devices.

I called my ISP to ask about getting a similar setup, however they said the following
"I have checked your current situation again and found that you are currently using XGS-PON. Unfortunately, no media converter is possible with this fibre-optic technology, as the router must be Swisscom certified."

Its actually not clear to me whether its the MCT, the WIFI router or the Fiber technology that has the compatibility issues. I have tried to clarify, but they dont seem to understand why I'm confused ( in fairness to them I don't speak German so I communication issues are to be expected)

Could someone here clarify for me what the issue actually is?

Thanks

Additional details.
Location Switzerland
ISP: Green

Solution
This Zyxel router?

file:///C:/Users/Don/AppData/Local/Temp/MicrosoftEdgeDownloads/2b29405f-17be-4515-bf40-cac338355e7d/ZYXEL_Datasheet_AX7501-B0_3.pdf

My understanding of your question/plan is shown in the following network line diagram (where ----> is Ethernet connectivity and ~~~> is wireless connectivity).

ISP (Green) === Fiber ===>Zyxel AX7501-B0 dual band router (XGSPON VoIP IAD) ===Fiber ===> [Fiber in ? ]MCT>[Ethernet out --->[WAN port] Wifi router[LAN ports] ----> various wired devices and ~~~> various wireless devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

I am not sure what the previous tenants were doing but I see no need for a MCT because the Zyxel router does not have a fiber...

Ralston18

Titan
This Zyxel router?

file:///C:/Users/Don/AppData/Local/Temp/MicrosoftEdgeDownloads/2b29405f-17be-4515-bf40-cac338355e7d/ZYXEL_Datasheet_AX7501-B0_3.pdf

My understanding of your question/plan is shown in the following network line diagram (where ----> is Ethernet connectivity and ~~~> is wireless connectivity).

ISP (Green) === Fiber ===>Zyxel AX7501-B0 dual band router (XGSPON VoIP IAD) ===Fiber ===> [Fiber in ? ]MCT>[Ethernet out --->[WAN port] Wifi router[LAN ports] ----> various wired devices and ~~~> various wireless devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

I am not sure what the previous tenants were doing but I see no need for a MCT because the Zyxel router does not have a fiber output port.

Did they have this converter?

https://www.amazon.com/CTS-CVT3002W2A-SM-10-1000Base-TX-1000Base-FXDual/dp/B006PCCPFK

My thought would be the following network setup:

ISP (Green) === Fiber ===>Zyxel AX7501-B0 dual band router (XGSPON VoIP IAD) [LAN Ethernet ports] ----> various wired devices and ~~~> various wireless devices.

However one of the "various wired devices" would be a simple switch (or DHCP disabled router) to provide additional LAN ports in the living room and office.

Beyond the Zyex router no further fiber to copper conversion is necessary.

At least as I understand the circumstances.

Again feel free to correct and edit as necessary to show the desired/required network connections.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Walkon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015
This Zyxel router?

Hi Ralston ,

Thanks for the help, I think there is a bit of confusion (mostly due to me using the wrong words). I will clarify a few points and rewrite based on your terminology above,
The old tenants did not have the Zyxel router
By "Ethernet ports" I mean the internal LAN wiring in my apartment.
The end goal is to have the fiber signal ( that comes out of the wall in my utility room) connected to the internal LAN wiring so that I can set up my router centrally in my home.

ISP (Green) === Fiber ===> MCT====> internal LAN wiring====>Zyxel AX7501-B0 dual band router (XGSPON VoIP IAD) ~~~> various wireless devices.

Not sure what the box you call MCT does.

Your largest issue is although the physical fiber might be the same there are a number of different methods of transmitting data over them. This is both the actual types of lasers that are used as well as the data encoding used.

The MCT box must be compatible with your ISP. Even if it was it still does not help your router expects a fiber connection not a ethernet connection.

Even if we pretend your router can accept copper input you still have the problem that the ISP is using a data encoding called GPON rather than ethernet.

Your best options likely is going to be to place the zyxel box where the fiber comes into the house. Then connect a LAN port to the internal wiring. If you get poor wifi coverage in the remote rooms buy a inexpensive router and use it as a AP.

Ralston18

Titan
I think I would try (if you have not done so already) placing the router in the utility room.

The incoming fiber would connect directly to Zyxel router and you would connect the router's outgoing Ethernet ports to the applicable internal LAN wiring. Depending on the size and layout of your apartment the router may work perfectly well from that location for wireless devices. Even if the utility room is not centrally located per se.

All the more so if the utility room has a patch panel with Ethernet runs to the various apartment rooms and areas.

Something like the following link:

https://www.dummies.com/programming/networking/network-building-wall-jacks-and-patch-panels/

(Note: no offense intended or implied - it is just a good diagram showing what I am thinking.)

Instead of the switch you would use the Zyxel router with its' incoming fiber connection.

Other representations:

https://community.spiceworks.com/people/keithrogers/projects/home-ethernet-lan

Where the "network closet" is your utility room"

https://www.ckkadsp.com/products.aspx?cname=router+switch+patch+panel&cid=1

(Note: you can easily google for other "network diagram images". )

Overall thought being to avoid the need for and the cost of the MCT.

Very much narrows down to if there is a patch panel in the apartment's utility room or other location that centralizes the Ethernet cable runs (internal LAN wiring) to the various apartment rooms/wall jacks.

You will need to have one Ethernet cable run from the utility panel to the centrally located router as per your line diagram.

However there will need to be a second Ethernet cable to return from the router panel to the utility room to serve a switch that, in turn, serves the other apartment wall jacks.

It does appear that you have options. Sketch out your apartment's floor plan and verify the presence (or not) of a patch panel. Would not be surprised if the unit has just terminated wires hanging out of the wall in the utility closet.

Use imgur (www.imgur.com) to post your layout/sketch.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Walkon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015
Hi thanks again for the response, as you can tell im very much a noob at network stuff so I really appreciate it.

See Floor plan for the layout of my apartment.

So, my current setup is that my WIFI router is in the utility room with direct connection from the fiber terminal (Image bottom left) this router serves the whole house.

There are 2 LAN ports in the Utility cupboard but they looks like they are just connections (ie there is no switch or box its just the connection) (Image right center)

I have tried connecting the 10Gb LAN port from the WIFI router to both of these ports (LAN port in 1 and 2) but Im not getting any signal at the wall jacks (ie LAN port out 1 and 2 in my living room or bedroom) (Image Top Left). Connecting directly from the 10Gb Lan from to a laptop works and I get a 400-500 Mbs. So I assume that the for setup is a little more complex that just plugging the wires into the wall

If I can get the signal from the wall jacks then I assume that would probably just get a WIFI extender and connect that through Ethernet from the wall jack?

Please feel free to explain things to me like a 5 year old.

Once again, I really appreciate the help

Best

It "should" be that simple you just plug a cable between one of those port and the router and the signal comes out in the other room.

It really is just a long ethernet cables that runs though the walls rather than running over your floor.

I would pull disassemble both ends so you can look at the cables. Maybe they were installed incorrectly or maybe they were wired for telephone.

Although this is not real hard it will take some study. Search google for the terms 568a and 568b. It will show you the patterns the wire colors need to be in. Both ends should be the same doesn't matter if they use 568a or 568b. Maybe something like this will help, This is just a example I know nothing about this particular unit.

When it comes to fixing cables in your house unfortunately you are going to have to do all the work since it involves physically looking at wires.

When it works it is trivial to use but when it doesn't there can be so many different things.

Ralston18

Titan
And also look at what is printed on/along the cables serving the wall jacks. The cable specs/information should be continuously repeated all along the cable length.

The installers may have also installed their own labels that map the outlets back to the connections in the utility closet.

Aug 16, 2021
Hi Walkon,

Have you tried putting the LAN cables from the basement into the LAN ports 1-4 of your router (e.g. not the 10GB)? Your cables may be older and cannot reach a 10GB link. In theory it should auto-negotiate but maybe its set to fixed speed on the router.

I agree with most suggestions here to check the cables. Even if the cables are wired for 4wired phones (still RJ45) you can relatively easy and cheap upgrade it to network cable. Alternatively try to get a longer Fiber cable from the OTO box to your Zyxel using the existing cables as 'helper' to pull the new cables with a spring lead.

(you don't need a MCT now you have such nice modem, basically the MCT is just a 1 port modem, nothing else).
You have now Wifi-6 and guest networking and all with the Zyxel.

Last edited: