Question Fiber networking question

Mar 29, 2024
greetings all,

I currently have fiber connection for my home ISP. right now, the modem I have, which was provided by the ISP, isn't all that great. my question is, could I replace my modem with one of these UISP Fiber XGS and then go straight into a router of my choosing with the RJ45 connection?

kanewolf

Titan
greetings all,

I currently have fiber connection for my home ISP. right now, the modem I have, which was provided by the ISP, isn't all that great. my question is, could I replace my modem with one of these UISP Fiber XGS and then go straight into a router of my choosing with the RJ45 connection?
Maybe. The ISP may not support second source devices connecting to their fiber.
You really need to contact the ISP to see what your options are. An ISP modem should allow you to use any router.

Mar 29, 2024
thanks for the quick reply...

I actually did contact my ISP, but they're tech support knowledge sometimes just isn't there. I know VERY little networking and a lot of times it seems like I know more than they do. they say we're allowed to use a modem of our choosing, but it has to have a built in ONT, which is hard to find. another reason is I'm paying for 2gb speed, but the RJ45 ports on the provided modem is only 1gb.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
You subscribed 2Gbps and your ISP only supply an ONT device that has 1Gbps ethernet pot?

How could an ISP do such thing?

You should ask your ISP to provide a proper unit so you can enjoy 2Gbps.

If the ISP can't provide proper equipment, it shouldn't let you subscribe 2Gbps plan.

BTW, does your PC has 2.5Gbps port?

Last edited:
It is very surprising that any ISP allows people to hook up any third party devices to their fiber. Most ISP in the USA and the EU do not allow it so I suspect that is why there is limited selection. I know in india some ISP allow it.

The problem is even when you know they are running GPON on the fiber there are many variations equipment tends to not be compatible between ISP.... I suspect this is intentional.

I strongly suspect that on ISP that allow people to buy their own device it works similar to a cable modem where the ISP is responsible for the firmware and any setting related to the fiber. You can mess up all your neighbors connections if you were to set the GPON stuff wrong. What this means is your ISP likely has lists of devices that they allow on their system. I know for example most ISP in the USA do not support Huawei cable modems even though technically they would work.

So I think the first step is to talk to the ISP and get them to provide a proper device for 2gbit or at least have them give you a list of devices they know work at 2gbit on their system.

Maybe this is a sign you need to downgrade to 1gbit and save some money. First technically your current router can run 2gbit. You can hook up 2 different pc and each can run 1gbit. Devices that have faster than 1gbit ports tend to be more expensive.

Why do you need 2gbit or even 1gbit for that matter. High bandwidth really only helps on large file downloads. So a 20GByte game would take you 2.5 minutes to download at 1gbit and 1.25 minutes at 2gbit. How many times per month do you download stuff. How much extra do you really pay per minute saved and is it really worth the money.

What I found when my ISP let me try out the 5gbit plan for free was many sites did not run any faster. There are sites like steam for example that seem to have some limit. I have issues with them even being able to consistently use 1gbit. I think only microsoft was the one I got 3gbit from. I didn't need to think long when the difference in price between 1gbit and 5gbit was a extra $90 a month.