Fiber optic cables

McPeazy

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Does anyone know what type of fiber optic cable AT&T uses from pole to house? Thank you. I am having to a fiber optic cable from my AV rack to the demarcation box outside the house. AT&T doesnt seem to provide the answers I needed so I was hoping to hear from one of you guys or girls that have more experience than I.

There really is no advantage to fiber into the house. You are well withing the limit for ethernet from the att demarc to your equipment rack.

The reason ATT will provide no information is they don't want you messing with it. The "demarc" means exactly that. They are responsible for everything up to the box. They could easily refuse to sell you service if you mess with it. Not sure how you would move their box. It is specially designed to protect the fiber coming in from the street. They strip off all the outside layers and only have the single fiber with its coating. These type of fibers are extremely easy to damage.

But there really is only 1 kind of single mode fiber you are going to get easily. It is 9/125 and tends to be what all companies use.

....BUT there really is no reason to even consider doing this.

USAFRet

Titan

Generally speaking, they won't do or allow that.

My Verizon fiber is a single solid line from the neighborhood box (pole, in your case) to the demarc on the wall of my house, their conversion box, and their wiring to the ONT on the inside wall.
User fiddling with that might disrupt some of their monitoring procedures.

You might be able to get an AT&T tech out to relocate that, but this is not a user modifiable segment. Attached to the pole is their property, not yours.

kanewolf

Titan

If you are going to that much trouble, then you leave a pull-string in the conduit. No fishing required.

USAFRet

Titan

Mike,
While we value your comments here, self promotion of your website is not allowed.
Thanks.