[SOLVED] fiber optic internet but high ping in games

Nov 8, 2021
so i live in kurdistan its in middle east we only have one isp that provides fiber optic connection and it has a download speed of 100Mbps and 100Mbps upload speed

NFhkDkw.png

its great but when it comes to gaming most of the games like warzone and pubg mobile it has 70 to 100 ping in fortnite however i get 50 to 70 ping in creative and in public i get 60 to 80 ping

i tried many network optimizations such as open port for games and optimized my network driver on my pc but didn't get good results

and i really don't know why but when i play on middle east servers i have higher ping than europe servers which is very confusing

my router model is : Huawei hg8245H and i use ethernet cable

idk if the isp could limit your ping or not and i highly suspect that is the case because where i live in most of the goverment is corrupt

and the average people use internet just for social media so if they did not many people will be able to notice it

BTW our isp has another subscription for 1 gigabit internet idk if i switch will it decrease my ping or not

Solution
You have to really be sure that the so called middle east servers are actually closer to you. First sometime this is just a name that represents a server that is used to attract people that speak the same language. It does not mean it is located near you, many games all the servers are in one or two data centers.

The next problem is you have to look at the distance the fiber runs not the airplane distance. Most international fiber run in ocean to avoid one country from taking a fiber hostage.

In addition not all countries are directly connected via fiber and even if they are difference ISP have purchased different rights to use different fibers. So your ISP and the game company ISP may not connect in the most optimum path...

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
The problem is how your ISP is connected to the backbone. You don't have much to do, other than trying another ISP.

I am from Turkey, and however my Internet is nowhere near yours. My ping to Western European servers is at the range of 10 ms.

Reactions: rgd1101
You have to really be sure that the so called middle east servers are actually closer to you. First sometime this is just a name that represents a server that is used to attract people that speak the same language. It does not mean it is located near you, many games all the servers are in one or two data centers.

The next problem is you have to look at the distance the fiber runs not the airplane distance. Most international fiber run in ocean to avoid one country from taking a fiber hostage.

In addition not all countries are directly connected via fiber and even if they are difference ISP have purchased different rights to use different fibers. So your ISP and the game company ISP may not connect in the most optimum path because they can only buy so many interconnects.

In the end there is nothing at all you can do about this. You option is to send your data on the cable that comes to your house. You can not control the path the data takes after that.

The only thing you might try is on of so called "gamer" vpn services. These services buy optimum paths to some of the larger game company ISP data centers. This is in theory should always be slower because of the overhead but if your ISP has a very poor path it might help. It is all trial and error to see if it really helps.

Solution

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Probably your ISP connects the backbone using satellite. That would not be a problem for bandwidth. But when gaming it is a significant issue. Because satellite connections has higher delays.

If your country does not have cable connections, it is not a solvable issue.

Musk satellites are in lower orbits and their delays are not that much, but they are quite expensive.