[SOLVED] Fiber Optic internet cable - request for advice

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hello,
recently I had an internet fiber optics cable installed in my apartment.
I had some issues with the furniture locations etc. so I asked my ISP for a longer cable to connect from the router to the installation box attached to the wall.
For some unknown reason they said they are unable to do so, and I suspect that there might be something dubious behind this refusal.

I would like to ask for assistance in a couple of matters:

a. It seems that I'll have to acquire this cable myself, so I started researching this and found out it's not that simple - communication sellers where I live in Israel do not sell these kind of cables for private customers (only in stocks for businesses) and PC stores and the likes don't have these kind of cables (and sometimes don't even know what I'm talking about).
So I went looking online, and then I found out that this field is strewn with multiple connectors and there's a substantial risk for confusion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_connector - "In all, about 100 different types of fiber optic connectors have been introduced to the market").

According to the following information, can someone please help out and tell me what is the exact cable definition I need to be looking for, or alternatively supply me with a direct link for purchasing a suitable cable at a length of 2.0 meters ?

PSA photos A,B for the ferrule end, which is identical at both points - router side and wall side.
(router model was supplied by ISP and seems to be a costumed propriety
Technicolor MediaAccess DGA2232 model, since I couldn't find its' specs anywhere - photo C).
and photo D for the nylon wrapping of the original cable (Cable itself has in fine print written on it, which is too difficult for me to photograph: "ARMORED OPTICAL CABLE SM <G657A1> PVC 3.0 mm SIMPLEX 0563M)

A: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nhRX2dj5t6ve7dDzrrxzMJed8yZwcEz8/view?usp=sharing
B: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kw64BYxuj6QlQ1W660owvqoL3i4Z6hvG/view?usp=sharing
C: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i6C_HJaQP7MsmSoekz0UujwHsAdNGMFt/view?usp=sharing
D: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fSFC9U1zxA5bswJrHCiNhEzmY_1GKbEZ/view?usp=sharing

b. Can someone please take a look at image E and advise if this is a proper standardized connection?
I mean I see that there's a duplex connector attached to the inner box with a 'built in' LC/UPC connector (I think) not connected on the left side and some unidentified connection on the right upper side (yellow cable, I'm afraid to touch this part). The ferrule end of the cable from the router connects to the lower right side.

Why did they put a duplex connector there?
Basically, is this how it's supposed to be done?

E: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gTvJqFODnaJavDBf9gnFKhaYfKUTwasT/view?usp=sharing

Please advise

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Both look fine. Fiber is manufacture by very few companies so it will all likely be the same. The only added step is cutting the fiber to length and bonding the ends on. As long as it is not the guy next door selling the cables they likely are done correctly. It is not that hard it is mostly have the specialized equipment to cut and polish the fiber ends.

It is strange you can get twice the actual fiber for less than 1/2 the price. Purely because single strands of fiber are not much in demand.

Ralston18

Titan
As near as I can determine you should be able to go online to order a longer matching fiber optic cable.

I looked for Ryem Com (Image D ) - may be out of business. ??? Original idea being to find a way to order a longer cable directly from them.

Here is the important part:

""ARMORED OPTICAL CABLE SM <G657A1> PVC 3.0 mm SIMPLEX 0563M) "

You need a two meter cable meeting those "specs".

If I follow correctly followed through the information and images you provided you currently have a single mode cable 1.5 meters long per Image D:

PVC outer jacket

https://community.fs.com/blog/understanding-fiber-optic-cable-jacket-fire-rating.html

Simplex Connector per Image A and Image B:

G657-A1 - bending radius:

https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/oth/0b/04/T0B040000542C01PDFE.pdf

Key is to match the current fiber optic specs of the current cable to a longer available cable with identical spec.

Spec by spec as best can be determined or figured out.

Good source for basic fiber optic information is Blackbox.

https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/support/support/resources/black-box-explains

Take a look at the above links and then another look at your installation. Determine if you can find a longer fiber optic cable with matching specs.

Post your findings, if necessary, and hopefully a match can be confirmed.

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,
1st thanks for all the info.
So basically I need something along the following parameters (or similar):
PVC coating, G657-A1 compliant, and LC connectors on both sides (I think??? :unsure:), and 2 meters in length of course.
Now this basically means a custom made cable -where can I get this done? actually I reckon this will also be quite expensive [In the meantime, I also sent an inquiry to blackbox cables sales rep.].

What I had in mind initially is to be able to grab something on amazon/ebay/alibaba that will fit the connectors and serve as a reliable connection.

Is that even possible?

also, I inquired a bit about Ryem Com - this is a local company, but in anycase as mentioned before these companies do not sell to private customers (moreover this specific one works with my ISP so there's no way they'll sell to me).

Btw, can you also confirm regarding photo E above if this is a standard compliant installation?

Thanks in advance!

Luckily there is only 1 size single mode fiber size commonly used unlike multimode. The difference in the single mode fiber have to do with thing like bend radius and how well it passes the higher light colors used by wave division....ie multiple color lasers on the same fiber.

Most this difference really only matters when you go very long distances. I would try a standard lc-lc single mode patch cable. It will be cheaper than getting a custom cable made. Many times you can get 2-3 meter cables for under $10.

The reason they use duplex connectors is because they are much more common. Pretty much other equipment transmits on 1 fiber and receives on the other even when it is used wave division. Only fiber to the home uses single fibers where it transmits and receives on the same fiber but on different color lasers. You might actually find a duplex patch cable is cheaper than a single one for the same reason.

There is a white plastic cover on the amazon ones. It looks like a lc connector...its been a number of years since I did a lot of hands on fiber stuff maybe there is a something new but I think it is standard lc.

In the case of this cable the photos on amazon are not clear enough to say for sure but I would assume it must be possible to seperate the 2 fibers and only use 1. Becuase you many times need to swap the fibers to transsmit and receive are correct you need to change the ends. If you look closely there is a small plastic clip near the back of the 2 lc connectors. You should be able to pry the fiber out of the clip and use just 1. Normally you would swap them and put them back in the clip.

>>>>> so after posting this I go back and actually read the text of the ad and it says in the bottom you can remove the fibers from the clip.

Last edited:

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
There is a white plastic cover on the amazon ones. It looks like a lc connector...its been a number of years since I did a lot of hands on fiber stuff maybe there is a something new but I think it is standard lc.

In the case of this cable the photos on amazon are not clear enough to say for sure but I would assume it must be possible to seperate the 2 fibers and only use 1. Becuase you many times need to swap the fibers to transsmit and receive are correct you need to change the ends. If you look closely there is a small plastic clip near the back of the 2 lc connectors. You should be able to pry the fiber out of the clip and use just 1. Normally you would swap them and put them back in the clip.
K thanks I might take a chance with this one or find something similar (searching under: 'standard lc-lc single mode patch cable)

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Thx for the tips.
I also got an answer from the bkackbix cabkes sales rep. He recommended the following:
FOSM-002M-LCLC
Thing is he said I must go through one of their authorized dealers/resellers so the one I know that ships to Israel is bhphotovideo (at this link) but it only states 6.5' and there's no option to select different length (I also assume that 6.5' is 6.5-ft =2- meters. Please correct me if I'm wrong).
Can you just confirm that this is suitable?
(Sorry for being so uprehensive, its just that this field is new to me).
And perhaps also recommend an additional trustworthy reseller which does allow to select length and that ships internationally to Israel?

Thanks in advance!

That looks correct just be very sure you get lc-lc since it appears they sell different ends with the same part number.

Blackbox tends to be my very last choice. They generally sell quality product but they are extremely expensive.

Israel from what I have seen from other forum posts is a massive pain to get stuff. I know wifi equipment is almost impossible because the rules on radio frequencies are different and Israel seems to enforce import restrictions more. Fiber cables I doubt there is a actual restriction. There has to be some big electronics company similar to say bestbuy or newegg that does business in israel.

Worst case you buy from china directly on sites like alibaba. Not my first recommendation but I have done it to get what is called grey market equipment where you bypass the official re sellers and their massive markups or refusal to sell to non business customers. The USA does not seem to care much I have not even had to pay import fees.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
That looks correct just be very sure you get lc-lc since it appears they sell different ends with the same part number.

Blackbox tends to be my very last choice. They generally sell quality product but they are extremely expensive.

Israel from what I have seen from other forum posts is a massive pain to get stuff. I know wifi equipment is almost impossible because the rules on radio frequencies are different and Israel seems to enforce import restrictions more. Fiber cables I doubt there is a actual restriction. There has to be some big electronics company similar to say bestbuy or newegg that does business in israel.

Worst case you buy from china directly on sites like alibaba. Not my first recommendation but I have done it to get what is called grey market equipment where you bypass the official re sellers and their massive markups or refusal to sell to non business customers. The USA does not seem to care much I have not even had to pay import fees.

you might be confused , Israel brought the whole point to point wireless into the middle east . Iran , iraq etc. copied from isreal . and they still use wireless to lesser extent . Fiber is not everywhere .

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,
I hope it's OK to re-raise this thread again.
Thing is after some hustling and haggling I got an approval from my ISP for a 15 USD reimbursement if I were to purchase the cable myself.
So I went looking on aliexpress and basically found two cheap cables which I think may be suitable.

May someone please just help me confirm that the following 2 options should fit, and 'do the job' properly?

1. cheapest option - LC-LC Singlemode OS2 Fiber Optic Cable Patch Cord, Duplex LC to LC Cable lc to lc 3m

2. a little more expensive from a company with good reviews -
LC LC Singlemode Fiber Optic Patch Cable LC UPC SM 2.0 or 3.0mm 9/125um FTTH Fiber Patch Cord Optical Fiber Jumper 3m 10m 30m

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Both look fine. Fiber is manufacture by very few companies so it will all likely be the same. The only added step is cutting the fiber to length and bonding the ends on. As long as it is not the guy next door selling the cables they likely are done correctly. It is not that hard it is mostly have the specialized equipment to cut and polish the fiber ends.

It is strange you can get twice the actual fiber for less than 1/2 the price. Purely because single strands of fiber are not much in demand.

Solution