fiber optic to cable converting

jimmydfi

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I am using a weboost Wilson 4g booster to get outside signal into the house. I am currently using 50 ft coaxial cable that came with it. We are moving, and it will be to low ground with lots of trees around the house. What I want to do is put my antenna on higher ground outside the trees to get better signal. The problem is that the spot is 375 ft from the house. I would have wayyyyy too much signal loss with that kind of cable run. Can I use any type of fiber optic to coaxial converter on both ends to connect my outside antenna to my inside antenna? There is no power at the outside antenna spot. What type of fiber should I use? What converter should I use? Thanks in advance.

Solution
400ft worth of coax is going to leave you with a near useless signal with all of the loss.

There is no "using fiber" for this setup because you need to convert X signal protocal (like ethernet, or docsis, etc) into fiber, and then convert it back to the proper format. In your case it is something proprietary and there is no converter for that.

I would first and foremost see if you dont need the booster at the new location.
Otherwise you really only have the option of putting an antenna mast up that will get it above the trees while keeping your 50ft of legnth.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
If I'm understanding this right, you just have a remote antenna 375ft away?

I don't think there is anything that can emulate that and convert into fiber optic and back.

Did you actually test with the long cable or are you just assuming it would not work?

400ft worth of coax is going to leave you with a near useless signal with all of the loss.

There is no "using fiber" for this setup because you need to convert X signal protocal (like ethernet, or docsis, etc) into fiber, and then convert it back to the proper format. In your case it is something proprietary and there is no converter for that.

I would first and foremost see if you dont need the booster at the new location.
Otherwise you really only have the option of putting an antenna mast up that will get it above the trees while keeping your 50ft of legnth.

Solution

jimmydfi

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys. What I ended up doing was setting up a waterproof station in the woods and ran power to it. I placed my router, booster, and hotspot in there. I ran 50' of coax to an antenna on the other side of the woods and 330' of Ethernet back to my house from there. Works like a charm (until the squirrels find my coax I'm sure ;)) Thanks again for your help.