Question Fiber optic usb extension cable suddenly stopped working

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2808222

I’m not sure what to do.

I bought a 10 meter fiber optic cable from monoprice so that I could connect my audio interface to my computer which is in a different room.

I tested this cable right when I got it out of the box, connected it to my computer and then tested with a gaming mouse to see if the led would power on and it did. I’ve spent about 2 hours doing cable management with this new cable and I try the same thing that I did before now but it doesn’t work? The mouse led light does not turn on and I tried connecting my audio interface to but that did not work.
I got a LINDY usb powered hub from thomann for about 50€ today and that did not fix this issue.
My question is why this fiber optic usb extension cable seemed to work when I tried it the first time and the second time it doesn’t? My new usb hub seems to work fine and all the ports on my motherboard works great with any other cable.

I’ve restarted my computer a few times as well and checked for updates on device manager on all usb devices, no updates found. I don’t seem to be able to find this usb fiber optic extension cable in device manager to.

Any help is appreciated here, spending quite alot of time and money to just get my setup working 10 meters away from my computer.

kanewolf

Titan
I’m not sure what to do.

I bought a 10 meter fiber optic cable from monoprice so that I could connect my audio interface to my computer which is in a different room.

I tested this cable right when I got it out of the box, connected it to my computer and then tested with a gaming mouse to see if the led would power on and it did. I’ve spent about 2 hours doing cable management with this new cable and I try the same thing that I did before now but it doesn’t work? The mouse led light does not turn on and I tried connecting my audio interface to but that did not work.
I got a LINDY usb powered hub from thomann for about 50€ today and that did not fix this issue.
My question is why this fiber optic usb extension cable seemed to work when I tried it the first time and the second time it doesn’t? My new usb hub seems to work fine and all the ports on my motherboard works great with any other cable.

I’ve restarted my computer a few times as well and checked for updates on device manager on all usb devices, no updates found. I don’t seem to be able to find this usb fiber optic extension cable in device manager to.

Any help is appreciated here, spending quite alot of time and money to just get my setup working 10 meters away from my computer.
The pictures don't show you connecting the supplemental power at the computer end. Have you tried it WITH the supplemental power? The pictures on monoprice show it used.

D

Deleted member 2808222

Yeah, the port on the side of the connector at your PC is a supplemental power injector. You might want to connect that and see if it makes a difference.
I’m not sure how I’m supposed to be connecting it, I connected it using like a iphone charger power supply or whatever which goes to a wall outlet and that did not work. I then tried connecting this extra usb cable to a different usb port on computer which also made no difference. View: https://imgur.com/a/GKW36lN

kanewolf

Titan
D

Deleted member 2808222

It was worth a short.
Fiber cable IS fragile. Did you put any sharp bends in the cable?
I have to say that I’ve never been this careful with a cable before, nothing sharp is in contact with the cable what I know. The cable bends slightly at some areas but not much that I would think it would get broken by that. It goes through plastic & wood material. It does come in contact with some hdmi cables but that’s probably it. Normal room temperature is where the cable is located at. Computer does of course get some warmer air out.

D

Deleted member 2808222

Would it help if I tried connecting this cable to my computer without all the cable management that I’ve done? this way there’s no way it gets bent anywhere. This might take me 1-2 hours and I my self don’t see why this would help but let me know if I should try. Without all the cable management done was when it worked the first time I tested it.

D

Deleted member 2808222

It is possible. That would definitely explain the symptoms you are seeing.
Interesting, with the information that I’ve found about fiber optic cables I actually came across different videos/websites talking about fiber optic cables being more durable that normal copper cables.

D

Deleted member 2808222

I use 3 normal extension cables I got at home which are 1-2 meter each and with all of those plugged into the hub and then the audio interface it seems to work well. Thinking of just spending some money buying a standard 5 or 10 meter usb extension cable..