Question Fiber optics through coaxial cable?

Jul 9, 2020
Can Fibre Optics be sent through a Coaxial cable and achieve the same quality and speed of fibre optic cable?
My understaninding is fibre is light. Coaxail is electric. fibre has no limits. Coaxial is limited to size of cable.
I am asking cause my service provider is telling me that fibre is being run into my coaxail and I will achieve fibre optic levels. yet my speeds and so have not changed one bit, everything is as before, I have even upgraded all my cable cords, computer everything related to this situation. this does not make sense ot me at all. I think it s a wording scam

kanewolf

Titan
Can Fibre Optics be sent through a Coaxial cable and achieve the same quality and speed of fibre optic cable?
My understaninding is fibre is light. Coaxail is electric. fibre has no limits. Coaxial is limited to size of cable.
I am asking cause my service provider is telling me that fibre is being run into my coaxail and I will achieve fibre optic levels. yet my speeds and so have not changed one bit, everything is as before, I have even upgraded all my cable cords, computer everything related to this situation. this does not make sense ot me at all. I think it s a wording scam
Fiber and coax and cat5e cables are just the physical connection. The SIGNAL on the cable is the thing. Coax caries radio frequency signals, yes plural, and fiber cable carries light signals, also plural. The equipment that sends and receives is the important part, not the cable. A coax cable or a fiber cable both use a modem to convert digital data to another form. Either modulated freqencies for coax or modulated light for fiber.
So, did your ISP give you notice that your speed would increase?

Jul 9, 2020
No, it doesn't work like that.
You may have fiber up to the side of the house, and then coax or ethernet inside.

What speed do you pay the ISP for, and what speed do you see when wired directly to your router?
300 is promised sped. im lucky to hit 229. avg is 124 to 189 mostly

Jul 9, 2020
Fiber and coax and cat5e cables are just the physical connection. The SIGNAL on the cable is the thing. Coax caries radio frequency signals, yes plural, and fiber cable carries light signals, also plural. The equipment that sends and receives is the important part, not the cable. A coax cable or a fiber cable both use a modem to convert digital data to another form. Either modulated freqencies for coax or modulated light for fiber.
So, did your ISP give you notice that your speed would increase?
no notice . My 2 year plan ran out. so called to get new plan. they upped my bill with no equipment changes, and told me that i would receive better speeds if i go with a higher" fibre" plan