Fiber splitter in network?

tastydjw

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I am managing and currently updating my campgrounds wireless network and am needing to add additional outdoor access points. My question is I would like to know if it is possible to use one existing pair of single mode fiber to distribute to additional locations rather than running separate pairs back to the main network rack? I have found 1x24 fiber plc splitters
http://www.fs.com/products/35866.html
But my concern is does that handle all of the data a wireless network is passing? This would obviously make my life a lot easier than having to run 10 more pairs of fiber across the whole property. Thank You

Solution
SFP are a huge pain in the butt to use. Manufactures do all kinds a stupid stuff. I know for example you can't even put sfp from different lines of HP switches. You get stupid unsupported message. It is very hard to say what brands of SFP the ubiquiti will take....of course they likely sell their brand.

The fairly standard one you use for single mode fiber has a light frequency of 1310nm, your run on that. The other common one you see is 1550nm but this is used for extended range. 1550 is pretty easy to get. You should be able to run a pair on 1310 and another pair on 1550.

This link has a lot of details on sfp and what frequency they run on. It is actually more complex because CWDM has been done for years on non...
Yes and No. The fiber is one thing but what you connect it to is another. The lasers between 2 devices are point to point. They only talk to another single device on the far end. If you were to use these to say add a second pair of optical transceivers you now have 2 signals overlapped.

What these are used for is what is called wave division. All this really means is you used lasers of slightly difference colors/frequencies. There are a number of ways to actually accomplish this. Some switch equipment will directly take the SFP modules that run on different frequnceis and you can just put on each end. The other way is to use a special media converter. The more common ones take 10g port in and then map it using vlans to one or more fibers. You would still put the SFP modules into this device.

If it is cost effective for you to do this rather than run more actual fiber only you can do the calculation. The key thing you are looking for in a google search is either CWDM or DWDM

tastydjw

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016

Thanks for your help. My current wireless network hardware is listed below. Can you tell me if this is what you are talking about as far as will the modules and fiber switch will change the frequency and I would just have to split my fiber pair on both ends?

Switch is Ubiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch 12 Fiber 12-Port Gigabit Managed Network Switch
Modules are Ironlink HP J4859C-IL Compatible SFP-GBIC LX-LC
With ubiq FiberPoE, 24V/50V Passive PoE Transport (F-POE)
to the access points:Ubiquiti UAP-AC-OUTDOOR UniFi Outdoor AP 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

SFP are a huge pain in the butt to use. Manufactures do all kinds a stupid stuff. I know for example you can't even put sfp from different lines of HP switches. You get stupid unsupported message. It is very hard to say what brands of SFP the ubiquiti will take....of course they likely sell their brand.

The fairly standard one you use for single mode fiber has a light frequency of 1310nm, your run on that. The other common one you see is 1550nm but this is used for extended range. 1550 is pretty easy to get. You should be able to run a pair on 1310 and another pair on 1550.

This link has a lot of details on sfp and what frequency they run on. It is actually more complex because CWDM has been done for years on non ethernet type of fiber used by telco. They are based on OC standards so you have to avoid those.

http://www.fiberdyne.com/products/sfp.html

Solution

TRENDING THREADS