fiber vs adsl cable for ping?

splinter09

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
hello...
i use 4G connection for gaming and getting around 120 - 160 ping .
yesterday i took my laptop to my work where have a fiber optic connection (3mb) so i tried the ping and i got a 80 to 90 ping result

so my question is if i get a ADSL (4mb) at my house will i still be getting the same ping like the fiber optic?

Hard to say since you never specified ping to what?

first ISP thing after the router/modem, that part is where the difference is. After that, it doesn't really matter if you use 4G, ADSL or fibre.
tracert www.google.com or some other website will pretty much tell that.
Good quality 4G is usually around 10 to 15ms (to said first ISP thing at the cell tower) For ADSL it is usually around same.
Fiber tends to get lower, like 1 to 3ms.

but.. as I have said, that difference only exists pretty much for first step or two, past that it's all in same pipe/latency anyway..

Everything runs on fiber for the vast majority of the path. The connection between your house and the ISP is only a very small fraction of the delay. So using copper adsl for this connection will be somewhat slower but it gets converted to fiber as soon as it hits the ISP. There is more overhead in dsl but it is still a small number compared to the overall delays in a network connection.

The delays you see are much more dependent on how your ISP is connect to other ISP and the path it takes to get to the server. Some ISP have better connections to other ISP but it varies a lot between locations so there is no way to say which really is better.

In general I would suspect a game will play better over a DSL connection than on a mobile connection. They use very little bandwidth so the smaller size does not matter as much as the variations in the latency. Mobile broadband because it is designed to be mobile you will get more inconsistent latency and it is wireless which also causes issues.

For applications other than gaming ping times mean much less. In those cases more bandwidth is always better. Netflix and youtube have all kinds of tricks to hide issues related to ping.

CountOtis

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Everyone pretty much has answered your question, but I'll give you a scenario I ran into.

Comcast internet I would get in game ping around 15-35. (200mbps)

Upgraded to fiber, ping is around 35-50 consistently. (1Gbps)

With that being said I haven't even noticed a difference in fact I'm pretty sure because I'm running fiber and my transfers are so fast I'm better off even with the higher ping. But the point is even going from Coax -> Fiber I noticed an increase in ping, so I don't think that is a good gauge by itself necessarily.

Latest posts