Question fibre internet upgrade, boosting PC speeds?

scottreasbeck

Reputable
Apr 16, 2018
Hi I just upgraded our internet from a 60 down/10 up cable service to a 1 gig down/1 gig up fibre service and I was curious if there are hardware items that will boost my connection speed more. I'm just using ethernet from my motherboard into the all-in-one modem the provider has for me. Can I get a separate network card for example to connect my computers better via wifi or ethernet?

I also have ethernet hubs (Dlink DGS-1005G and a TP Link TL-SF1005D) in a few places around my entertainment area all connected by ethernet cables to try and make wired for everything possible, maybe they need an upgrade to match the new speed?

Thanks for any comments.

kanewolf

Titan
100mbit per device is enough for TVs for streaming as long as the switch has gigabit connectivity to the primary router. Gigabit ISP bandwidth is difficult to saturate with a single PC. There just isn't that much content on the web thag needst that much bandwidth.

scottreasbeck

Reputable
Apr 16, 2018
100mbit per device is enough for TVs for streaming as long as the switch has gigabit connectivity to the primary router. Gigabit ISP bandwidth is difficult to saturate with a single PC. There just isn't that much content on the web thag needst that much bandwidth.
Thnx for the reply. My mobo is an ASUS M5A99X EVO r2.0 with the LAN Realtek® 8111F, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s). It's an older mobo but do you think this is good enough for my needs or should I get a new NIC? Yes I gotcha on the full usage of the bandwidth. I have realized that regular household components and phones can only get a few hundred at a time.

kanewolf

Titan
Thnx for the reply. My mobo is an ASUS M5A99X EVO r2.0 with the LAN Realtek® 8111F, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s). It's an older mobo but do you think this is good enough for my needs or should I get a new NIC? Yes I gotcha on the full usage of the bandwidth. I have realized that regular household components and phones can only get a few hundred at a time.
Most single devices, PCs, phones, whatever can only use your WAN bandwidth in short spurts. But I bet your utilization percentage will be low unless you have many devices active at once. Your gigabit NIC on the motherboard should be fine if you have good quality cabling.

U gotta gigabit NIC, that's all u can do as the ISP won't go faster.

Nothing a typical home will run into trouble with 1g/1g for a few years. Now if u have a household of 30 and 50 devices, well then implementing QOS is always a good practice, so no "bad apples" can monopolize the pipe.