Question Fibre Optic Cable routing question

Oct 2, 2023
I'm wanting to switch to fibre optic but I don't want to move my Home Hub 2 because I have an Ethernet cable wired from it to my PC and I would have to re-route that and other wire connections from solar panels data readings and stuff. To compound problems Wi-Fi transmission through the walls in my house is a 4-letter word and I may get further problems from the Powerwall data feed signal from that.

My problem boils down to one of bend radius and fibre optic cables. I have a solution in my head but I'm struggling to find the practical devices that implement it. What I need is something like a thin cable reel with a radius 20x(?) the diameter of the cable that can be hung from a fixture on a wall of ceiling. Does such a thing exist, I'm sure it does but my search skills are limited?

What is the minimum bend radius for the type of cable generally used in home fibre internet service?

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
I'm wanting to switch to fibre optic but I don't want to move my Home Hub 2 because I have an Ethernet cable wired from it to my PC and I would have to re-route that and other wire connections from solar panels data readings and stuff. To compound problems Wi-Fi transmission through the walls in my house is a 4-letter word and I may get further problems from the Powerwall data feed signal from that.

My problem boils down to one of bend radius and fibre optic cables. I have a solution in my head but I'm struggling to find the practical devices that implement it. What I need is something like a thin cable reel with a radius 20x(?) the diameter of the cable that can be hung from a fixture on a wall of ceiling. Does such a thing exist, I'm sure it does but my search skills are limited?

What is the minimum bend radius for the type of cable generally used in home fibre internet service?

Thanks
Your ISP might terminate fiber on the outside of your house, then it would be standard ethernet cable to the router. Do you know how fiber is typically done in your area?

why do you want to use fiber.
The fiber used by a ISP can be a bit tricky because it is single mode and there are 2 types of cuts on the end straight and angled. They may also have rules about moving the ONT.

If this is to connect your own equipment then you likely will use a dual strand multimode cable that is used for ethernet.

You have 2 options. You run conduit and then you do not really need to worry about the bend radius because even if you used flexible conduit it is much larger than the fiber and you can't bend it so much it damaged the fiber....well I guess if you intentionally tried to destroy it.
The other is to use a armored fiber cable. This is how it is done professional. They make both metal shield fiber or ones that just have very thick plastic over the internal fiber strands.

You likely will need to use conduit since you will need to buy premade fibers. Buying bulk fiber and trying to put the ends on yourself is a very expensive option. It takes very special cutting and polishing tools.

Generally it is easier to just leave the ISP ONT where it comes in the house and use a ethernet cable.

Oct 2, 2023
Your ISP might terminate fiber on the outside of your house, then it would be standard ethernet cable to the router. Do you know how fiber is typically done in your area?
That's not a bad idea, but can you get a connection box that is Fibre in Cat 6 out? And can I connect a Cat 6 to the input of my router?
I wasn't aware the bends could be as small as 10-25mm. I need to find out what cable my provider uses, which won't be easy because the guys who install it are different to the guys who sell it.

Oct 2, 2023
@SBLIFX

Look along the length of the cable. There should be some specs repetitously printed along the length of the cable.
This is the problem. The cable is being installed by BT Openreach, the package is being sold by some BT salespeople fools who have no idea about any of the specs besides the speed.:rolleyes: Trying to contact BT Openreach has been deliberately made impossible by BT. So I don't know if their cable has an RJ11 connector, I don't know if they have termination box with an RJ11 output to connect to by Homehub 2's RJ11 input.

I assume the broadband input is RJ11 form this image (leftmost port):
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-the-ports-on-your-bt-hub

I think I will probably need a 10m RJ11-RJ11 cable inside the house to connect to where they would like to put the input, assuming they can terminate in some kind of box separate to the hub with a fibre in and RJ11 out.

Ralston18

Titan
This thread seems to be moving away from technical issues.

Your post raises many questions:

Speed specs can be, and often are, caveated by fine print. Very unlikely that the end speeds will be as high as what may be implied. What speeds are being "offered"?

Are you saying that the cable specs (printed on the cable during manufacturing) are not readable, non-existent, or simply moot because the cable is not yet installed?

RJ-11 is telephone cable. RJ-45 is Ethernet cable. They are not interchangeable. Fiber is completely different and will require converter from fiber to copper and vice versa.

The image above would use Ethercable with RJ-45 terminations and the proper connectors (solid or stranded) must be used. lt also appears to be using DSL connection (not fiber) for incoming service. That could be just a generic image - I do not know.

A 10 meter length of pre-terminated Cat 5e or Cat 6a Ethernet cable is very inexpensive. More of problem is ensuring that you get real cable. Pure copper, UTP, AWG 22-24, round.

Cables are generally run first then terminated as applicable. Versus buying fixed lengths of pre-terminated cables. What does the installation contract state?

Have you signed a contract? Read the details with regards to cancellation policies. Something seems very amiss in your situation.

How much are you being charged and is there a breakout for materials, labor, taxes, fees, etc.?

I am not a lawyer (full disclosure) but as I understand your posts I would not accept any installation actions. You may need legal advice.

There may be other comments and suggestions regarding the situation and the questions involved.

Just wondering about the bigger picture here. No harm in raising the concerns.

Ralston18

Titan
Late thought:

Are you able to provide a line diagram showing your network and the proposed cables, connections, and devices?

Something like the following generic line diagram:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] BT Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

With other Router LAN ports -----> Wired network devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram to show your network's topology.