Field order, Vegas 4

In Vegas 4, I am trying to put several clips on the timeline. Some of them
are "top field first" and some are "bottom field first. When I transfer to
DVD, the top field clips have the jitters, but the bottom field clips are
fine. How can I get all of the clips to have the same field order so they
will all look normal on the same timeline?

thanks

Sanman

Sanman wrote:
> In Vegas 4, I am trying to put several clips on the timeline. Some
> of them are "top field first" and some are "bottom field first. When
> I transfer to DVD, the top field clips have the jitters, but the
> bottom field clips are fine. How can I get all of the clips to have
> the same field order so they will all look normal on the same
> timeline?
>
> thanks
>
> Sanman

One (time consuming) solution is to re-render the "top field first" clips as
"bottom field first" and then re-import them.
The other (from the Sony Vegas forum) is to try a utility called ReStream
available at http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/restream.html
Note: I'm just passing info along as I've never used it.

Out of curiosity, how did you get some "top field first" clips in the first
place? Vegas VidCap defaults to "bottom filed first".

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Sanman wrote:
> > In Vegas 4, I am trying to put several clips on the timeline. Some
> > of them are "top field first" and some are "bottom field first. When
> > I transfer to DVD, the top field clips have the jitters, but the
> > bottom field clips are fine. How can I get all of the clips to have
> > the same field order so they will all look normal on the same
> > timeline?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Sanman
>

> One (time consuming) solution is to re-render the "top field first" clips
as
> "bottom field first" and then re-import them.
> The other (from the Sony Vegas forum) is to try a utility called ReStream
> available at http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/restream.html
> Note: I'm just passing info along as I've never used it.
>
> Out of curiosity, how did you get some "top field first" clips in the
first
> place? Vegas VidCap defaults to "bottom filed first".
>

> Mike

My ATI capture card captures top field first. Anything I capture from VHS
or the TV tuner is formatted that way. Also, I have been collecting some
rare Elvis videos (some are mpeg2, interlaced) and I want to burn them all
on DVD. They all seem to have a mixed field order.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:52:19 -0400, "Sanman" <me@you.com> wrote:

>In Vegas 4, I am trying to put several clips on the timeline. Some of them
>are "top field first" and some are "bottom field first. When I transfer to
>DVD, the top field clips have the jitters, but the bottom field clips are
>fine.

You'd think Vegas would automatically correct for this, eh? Well, it
can.. but you have to enable de-interlacing in the project. That
instructs Vegas to de-interlace as necessary.

The thing here is just how that de-interlacing is done. Technically,
if I simply merge my fields into a frame, then re-render back to
fields, I've changed nothing... and so, just doing that, your
top-field frames will still be out of time with the bottom field
frames, so you'll have "the jitters".

One solution is simply to enable a de-interlacing method, such as
gaussian blur, that "fixes" this by actually rendering combination
frames, which then should look ok played back with either field
priority. But of course, you also lose the actuality of 60fps motion
elements.

The "hack" is this: de-interlace the top-field video, as suggested,
but don't blend it. Then slip them down by one scan line. Now top is
bottom, bottom is top, in the scan line order, and your timing will be
correct. No more jitters.

Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
dhaynie@jersey.net| Take Back Freedom! Bush no more in 2004!
"Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com