Figuring out what is wrong with computer

David_673

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
So, I built my first computer over a year ago and things ran beautifully til one day my mobo messed up. I replaced the mobo and all my fans connected to the mobo turn on and stay on and my graphics card fans turn on as well. The mobo lights up red like its supposed to (msi) and the liquid cooling I have also works. The issue I have is after awhile one of the gpu fans turns off, and the biggest is I get no connection so all I have is a blank screen. I tried using the integrated graphics and still nothing came up.

My build is
CPU: i7 6700k
MOBO: msi z170a m5
GPU: MSI GTX980
RAM: gskill ddr4 16gb
HDD: WD 1tb
SSD: 240gb Samsung evo 850
PSU: Corsair AX750w

Michael_707

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
Do you post, boot and launch windows. How soon. Can you use HwMonitor to check temps?

Can you boot up off a MemTest64+ CD. http://www.memtest.org/

I discovered my new motherboard does not like bad ram and behaves rather irrationally.
1) A blank screen
2) weird q-codes like #55 no memory installed
3) BSOD's
4) Application closed unexpectedly.
5) SSD has invalid format or data corruption (note: a total bogus error thank god)

Its all dependent upon the current location in memory that happens to fail and what gets clobbered

My Patriot DDR4 failed after only 8 months. I suspected it was bad from day one, but I was up and running most of the time except for various minor irritating problems.

Troubleshooting with bad ram is a total waste of time. Been there, done that, don't recommend it.