bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

New to XP this week. When I first started I had something called file and
folder tasks under My Computer. It still is under My Documents.
I think I pushed the wrong button somewhere. How to put file and folder
tasks back under My Computer?
I was trying to copy data to a CD. In a section named:: To copy a file or
folder" it tell you to go to My Computer.Under File and Folder Tasks you are
to click on Copy this file or Copy this folder. When I still had File and
Folder Tasks under My Computer it did not have anything about doing Copy. How
do you add that to File and Folder Tasks if I get it back under My Computer.
Thanks, Bernie

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Ted and Carey, Thanks. I checked both of your hints. Both were already set as
you suggested.

"bernie" wrote:

> New to XP this week. When I first started I had something called file and
> folder tasks under My Computer. It still is under My Documents.
> I think I pushed the wrong button somewhere. How to put file and folder
> tasks back under My Computer?
> I was trying to copy data to a CD. In a section named:: To copy a file or
> folder" it tell you to go to My Computer.Under File and Folder Tasks you are
> to click on Copy this file or Copy this folder. When I still had File and
> Folder Tasks under My Computer it did not have anything about doing Copy. How
> do you add that to File and Folder Tasks if I get it back under My Computer.
> Thanks, Bernie

Open the Control Panel, click on the Folder Options icon,
under the General tab place a dot next to "Show common
tasks in folders, click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bernie" wrote:

| New to XP this week. When I first started I had something called file and
| folder tasks under My Computer. It still is under My Documents.
| I think I pushed the wrong button somewhere. How to put file and folder
| tasks back under My Computer?
| I was trying to copy data to a CD. In a section named:: To copy a file or
| folder" it tell you to go to My Computer.Under File and Folder Tasks you are
| to click on Copy this file or Copy this folder. When I still had File and
| Folder Tasks under My Computer it did not have anything about doing Copy. How
| do you add that to File and Folder Tasks if I get it back under My Computer.
| Thanks, Bernie

If you do not see the common tasks pane, then try clicking on the Folder
icon on the Toolbar to hide the Folder pane.

If you see the commontasks pane, highlight a file or folder to see Copy this
file or Copy this folder. Neithe one appears until a file or folder is
selected.

You can also right click a file or folder and select Copy.

Folders Files and Folders Basics Help items

Here are some tips from XP HELP:

You can copy more than one file or folder at a time.

To select consecutive files or folders, click the first item, press and hold
down SHIFT, and then click the last item. To select nonconsecutive files or
folders, press and hold down CTRL, and then click each item.

If you drag an item while pressing the right mouse button, you can move,
copy, or create a shortcut to the file in its new location.

To copy the item instead of moving it, press and hold down CTRL while
dragging.

If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move the
item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.

In the My Computer folder, you can view and select the drives on your
computer, the devices with removable storage, and the files stored on your
computer.

With Windows there are always many ways of doing things. With the above
rules in mind.

When dragging a file in Explorer, you can control the operation that will be
performed when you release the mouse button:

Hold the Control key to force a Copy.

Hold the Shift key to force a Move.

Hold the Alt key to force a Create Shortcut.

If you drag using the right mouse button, a menu appears with the commands
Move Here, Copy Here, Create Shortcut(s) Here, and Cancel. Click the
command you want.

If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move the
item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.

Dragging a program to a new location creates a shortcut to that program. To
move a program, right-click and then drag the program to the new location.
You must be logged on as an administrator to move a program.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4D9F78DF-7EFC-4BBC-9C6E-2FCF3A6357A9@microsoft.com,
bernie <bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Ted and Carey, Thanks. I checked both of your hints. Both were already
> set as you suggested.
>

> "bernie" wrote:
>
>> New to XP this week. When I first started I had something called file and
>> folder tasks under My Computer. It still is under My Documents.
>> I think I pushed the wrong button somewhere. How to put file and folder
>> tasks back under My Computer?
>> I was trying to copy data to a CD. In a section named:: To copy a file or
>> folder" it tell you to go to My Computer.Under File and Folder Tasks you
>> are to click on Copy this file or Copy this folder. When I still had
>> File and Folder Tasks under My Computer it did not have anything about
>> doing Copy. How do you add that to File and Folder Tasks if I get it
>> back under My Computer. Thanks, Bernie

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks everyone. I am more confused than ever. Will try to contact someone in
my area that has XP and can show me what to do.

"bernie" wrote:

> New to XP this week. When I first started I had something called file and
> folder tasks under My Computer. It still is under My Documents.
> I think I pushed the wrong button somewhere. How to put file and folder
> tasks back under My Computer?
> I was trying to copy data to a CD. In a section named:: To copy a file or
> folder" it tell you to go to My Computer.Under File and Folder Tasks you are
> to click on Copy this file or Copy this folder. When I still had File and
> Folder Tasks under My Computer it did not have anything about doing Copy. How
> do you add that to File and Folder Tasks if I get it back under My Computer.
> Thanks, Bernie

Start button > Control Panel > System icon > Advanced tab > Performance -
Settings button > Visual Effects > checkmark in 'Use common tasks in
folders'.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"bernie" <bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to XP this week. When I first started I had something called file and
> folder tasks under My Computer. It still is under My Documents.
> I think I pushed the wrong button somewhere. How to put file and folder
> tasks back under My Computer?
> I was trying to copy data to a CD. In a section named:: To copy a file or
> folder" it tell you to go to My Computer.Under File and Folder Tasks you
are
> to click on Copy this file or Copy this folder. When I still had File and
> Folder Tasks under My Computer it did not have anything about doing Copy.
How
> do you add that to File and Folder Tasks if I get it back under My
Computer.
> Thanks, Bernie

Ctrl + Shift + Drag
(also Alt + Drag)

Creates a Shortcut rather than moving or copying a file (default when dragging only program files in 95, in later versions is the default for dragging program files listed in the App Paths key in the registry)

Note the rules for exe are a little bit more complex.
"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eKZtjAWkFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
> In news:4D9F78DF-7EFC-4BBC-9C6E-2FCF3A6357A9@microsoft.com,
> bernie <bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Ted and Carey, Thanks. I checked both of your hints. Both were already
>> set as you suggested.
>>

>> "bernie" wrote:
>>
>>> New to XP this week. When I first started I had something called file and
>>> folder tasks under My Computer. It still is under My Documents.
>>> I think I pushed the wrong button somewhere. How to put file and folder
>>> tasks back under My Computer?
>>> I was trying to copy data to a CD. In a section named:: To copy a file or
>>> folder" it tell you to go to My Computer.Under File and Folder Tasks you
>>> are to click on Copy this file or Copy this folder. When I still had
>>> File and Folder Tasks under My Computer it did not have anything about
>>> doing Copy. How do you add that to File and Folder Tasks if I get it

Thanks to all. I think I might can get the copy part later.

When I click on Start and then click on My Computer is where I have the
main question. On the left side of My Computer I have three sections of
information. They now are: System Tasks, Other Places and Details. I would
like to replace the section that was named File and Folder Tasks. That
section is still under My Documents, My Pictures and My Music. Any ideas on
how to add this back?

Raymond Chen...

[[Will dragging a file result in a move or a copy?
Some people are confused by the seemingly random behavior when you drag a
file. Do you get a move or a copy?

And you're right to be confused because it's not obvious until you learn the
secret. Mind you, this secret hasn't changed since 1989, but an old secret
is still a secret just the same. (Worse: An old secret is a compatibility
constraint.)

• If Ctrl+Shift are held down, then the operation creates a shortcut.
• If Shift is held down, then the operation is a move.
• If Ctrl is held down, then the operation is a copy.
• If no modifiers are held down and the source and destination are on the
same drive, then the operation is a move.
• If no modifiers are held down and the source and destination are on
different drives, then the operation is a copy.

This is one of the few places where the fact that there are things called
"drives" makes itself known to the end user in a significant way. ]]
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/11/12/256472.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eX%23nOiWkFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> Ctrl + Shift + Drag
> (also Alt + Drag)
>
> Creates a Shortcut rather than moving or copying a file (default when
> dragging only program files in 95, in later versions is the default for
> dragging program files listed in the App Paths key in the registry)
>
> Note the rules for exe are a little bit more complex.
------------------------
>> If you do not see the common tasks pane, then try clicking on the Folder
>> icon on the Toolbar to hide the Folder pane.
>>
>> If you see the commontasks pane, highlight a file or folder to see Copy
>> this file or Copy this folder. Neithe one appears until a file or
>> folder is selected.
>>
>> You can also right click a file or folder and select Copy.
>>
>> Folders Files and Folders Basics Help items
>>
>> Here are some tips from XP HELP:
>>
>> You can copy more than one file or folder at a time.
>>
>> To select consecutive files or folders, click the first item, press and
>> hold down SHIFT, and then click the last item. To select nonconsecutive
>> files or folders, press and hold down CTRL, and then click each item.
>>
>> If you drag an item while pressing the right mouse button, you can move,
>> copy, or create a shortcut to the file in its new location.
>>
>> To copy the item instead of moving it, press and hold down CTRL while
>> dragging.
>>
>> If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move the
>> item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.
>>
>> In the My Computer folder, you can view and select the drives on your
>> computer, the devices with removable storage, and the files stored on
>> your computer.
>>
>> With Windows there are always many ways of doing things. With the above
>> rules in mind.
>>
>> When dragging a file in Explorer, you can control the operation that
>> will be performed when you release the mouse button:
>>
>> Hold the Control key to force a Copy.
>>
>> Hold the Shift key to force a Move.
>>
>> Hold the Alt key to force a Create Shortcut.
>>
>> If you drag using the right mouse button, a menu appears with the
>> commands Move Here, Copy Here, Create Shortcut(s) Here, and Cancel.
>> Click the command you want.
>>
>> If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move
>> the item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.
>>
>> Dragging a program to a new location creates a shortcut to that program.
>> To move a program, right-click and then drag the program to the new
>> location. You must be logged on as an administrator to move a program.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:4D9F78DF-7EFC-4BBC-9C6E-2FCF3A6357A9@microsoft.com,
>> bernie <bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Ted and Carey, Thanks. I checked both of your hints. Both were already
>>> set as you suggested.

My Computer has no files or file folders in it. So it applies to nothing in My Comp. In any case it is not customisable so viruses can't get in there.

"bernie" <bernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DAEC791-7FB5-449E-81F5-4A4F66060E50@microsoft.com...
> Thanks to all. I think I might can get the copy part later.
>
> When I click on Start and then click on My Computer is where I have the
> main question. On the left side of My Computer I have three sections of
> information. They now are: System Tasks, Other Places and Details. I would
> like to replace the section that was named File and Folder Tasks. That
> section is still under My Documents, My Pictures and My Music. Any ideas on
> how to add this back?

Keep reading down that page. Wait till you see my name.

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:ef14BvWkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>>
>>> With Windows there are always many ways of doing things. With the above
>>> rules in mind.
>>>
>>> When dragging a file in Explorer, you can control the operation that
>>> will be performed when you release the mouse button:
>>>
>>> Hold the Control key to force a Copy.
>>>
>>> Hold the Shift key to force a Move.
>>>
>>> Hold the Alt key to force a Create Shortcut.
>>>
>>> If you drag using the right mouse button, a menu appears with the
>>> commands Move Here, Copy Here, Create Shortcut(s) Here, and Cancel.
>>> Click the command you want.
>>>
>>> If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move
>>> the item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.
>>>
>>> Dragging a program to a new location creates a shortcut to that program.
>>> To move a program, right-click and then drag the program to the new
>>> location. You must be logged on as an administrator to move a program.

Don't look for my name, I'm not on there.

Mile Hall wrote
The behavior when you drag an EXE has changed, no? I don't have Win 95 installed (heh) at the moment to check if it does this, but in XP if you drag (with no keys down) an EXE that is listed in HKLM\sw\ms\win\cv\App Paths, the default is to make a shortcut.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eTyIJ5WkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]

>>> With Windows there are always many ways of doing things. With the above
>>> rules in mind.
>>>
>>> When dragging a file in Explorer, you can control the operation that
>>> will be performed when you release the mouse button:
>>>
>>> Hold the Control key to force a Copy.
>>>
>>> Hold the Shift key to force a Move.
>>>
>>> Hold the Alt key to force a Create Shortcut.
>>>
>>> If you drag using the right mouse button, a menu appears with the
>>> commands Move Here, Copy Here, Create Shortcut(s) Here, and Cancel.
>>> Click the command you want.
>>>
>>> If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move
>>> the item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.
>>>
>>> Dragging a program to a new location creates a shortcut to that program.
>>> To move a program, right-click and then drag the program to the new
>>> location. You must be logged on as an administrator to move a program.

Too late, I already looked. Mile Hall isn't there either, but Mike Dunn is.
:)

If you left click drag an .exe to another folder with no keys down, you do
not even have to let go to see the shortcut arrow appear for an .exe listed
in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

I tried with one .exe that wasn't listed and it was moved.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User