file and settings transfer wizard crashes on restore

HI - i upgraded to WINXP and I wanted to get back my settings for WMP9.
Before the upgrade I stored files and settings to a file on another
machine, i gave it that filename, but it crashes when trying to
'organize my files and settings for transfer'. It says

"An error occurred. THe wizard can't create the data needed to save
your settings. Check your disk space"

I have plenty of disk space. What's going on?

thanks
/j

I fixed it by copying the file with the settings to the machine I am
fixing - but wait -

is there any way to restore just a FEW settings? I cancelled it because
it looked like it was going to try to restore (shudder) all of them

/j

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:37:58 -0400, Jeff W wrote:

> I fixed it by copying the file with the settings to the machine I am
> fixing - but wait -
>
> is there any way to restore just a FEW settings? I cancelled it because
> it looked like it was going to try to restore (shudder) all of them
>
> /j

No way that I know of to pull out just a few settings. When I've used FAST
it ran through all the settings BUT it only added those for programs that
were installed on the new setup. Saved data files were fully restored.

Good reference article about FAST:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

thanks sharon - (as always!)

Sharon F wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:37:58 -0400, Jeff W wrote:
>
>> I fixed it by copying the file with the settings to the machine I am
>> fixing - but wait -
>>
>> is there any way to restore just a FEW settings? I cancelled it because
>> it looked like it was going to try to restore (shudder) all of them
>>
>> /j
>
>No way that I know of to pull out just a few settings. When I've used FAST
>it ran through all the settings BUT it only added those for programs that
>were installed on the new setup. Saved data files were fully restored.
>
>Good reference article about FAST:
>http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

TRENDING THREADS