File Associations

Why is my xp-home ignoring my attempts to make notepad.exe the default
program for opening ".txt" files? When I select the program name from the
Browse button, it is not added to the list of programs and default stays at
wordpad.exe.
Ideas gratefully received.

Dave W.

Hi Dave,

Alternately, use the Folder Options, File Types dialog to associate .TXT files with Notepad.

-or-

Download the .TXT file association fix from Doug's site:

Now, why don't the Choose Program dialog list Notepad even after browsing for it?

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell

Export the Registry key and post the contents here.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User