Question File:\Boot\BCD error code 0xc0000098

solidforger

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Hello folks, I'd just like to start this by saying that to me tech assistance is always a last resort and I'm pretty desperate at this point.

Here's the rundown:

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NAO 1tb
2x4 kingston hyperx ram
FX 8320
Gtx 970
Seasonic M12 II 700w

I was attempting to test an old backup SATA drive, hooked it up just to have it not show up at all.
I tried to have it recognized on different connectors to no avail so I figured I'd just remove it and try again some other time.

The pc however had different plans for me as upon rebooting, I was met with a BSOD that read:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

File: \BCD

Error code: 0x0000098

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

As soon as I saw this I knew I was in for a lot of grief.

The first thing I tried was startup recovery, but that fails as soon as it launches.
My 19 yo brother doesn't create restore points, it's just not in his nature.

I tried reinstalling windows 10 via upgrade but I'm required to log into the OS and the drive won't show up anyway.

I attempted repairing startup via cmd by entering Bootrec /Rebuild Bcd but no luck there either.
After it detects a windows installation in E:\, it fails to create a new boot path (the requested system cannot be found). Here are some other commands I've tried to no sucess:

Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

So I'm in a bit of a tight spot here, I don't know what my options are and feel especially embarrassed by the fact that it wasn't my computer to ruin.

ANY help will be much appreciated!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS