File caching during HDD sleep

DavidThompson256

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I was wondering if someone could advise me as to what I am looking for. Its very possible that this is an existing technology, and I simply don't know what it is called. My Google skills didn't produce any results, so if anyone knows any better keywords, let me know.

I'm going to be building a media center, so I'll want a lot of storage, and I want it to be quiet. My main drive (C) will be a small SSD that will always be on. I'll have at least 3 (D, E, F) other large HDDs to store a ton of movies. What I want is for the three storage HDDs to sleep when not in use. That much isn't a problem, most hard drives have these power saving features.

Now the tricky part... I'd like to be able to "browse" the list of files on those drives, without them spinning up unless I actually access a file on that disk. So if I have 50 movies on each of the 3 HDDs, I'll be able to view a list of 150 files, but all of the drives will stay sleeping until I play one of the movies. Is there a way to cache, or index the LIST of files on all of the drives so they are available even when the drives are in power saving mode?

Thanks for all the help guys!

1st, the HDD sleep cycle is dictated by the mobo/windows, not the HDD.

2nd, if the drive is off then it is off and you cannot browse the files until the HDD spins up again.

if you really need hot access and want the system quiet then consider a small server to keep in another room. So long as you are on gigabit ethernet then you will have no problem streaming multiple HD files on the network concurrently.

DavidThompson256

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for the reply, thats largely what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any new tech that might accomplish this task. I was actually considering a server, but that would have the same issues as far as power was concerned.

Basically, I don't think there is a HARDWARE way for me to have access to a list of files on the drives once those drives go to sleep. I can write a software solution of some sort. Thanks for the info.

There are software out there that help you with this.
It's basically a library of all your movies and media on the HDDs that you have in the rig. I don't exactly remember the name of it, but, it maintained a list, very comprehensive one, with reviews and write ups and cast & crew and story lines straight off the web for me. I used to have it in my C drive and never needed to get the other HDDs on or even connected just to check if I had the movie etc etc or something I wanted to read about it. I could play it once I connected the drives straight from this software itself or a default VLC player as configured in the software.