Question File compression even tho I unchecked the box on C:/Drive ''Compress this disk to free up memory'' option.

FebPrograms

Prominent
May 8, 2019
This might've been caused because I upgraded to 1809 Windows version, if thats the case, I would like to know how could I decompress it.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Recent Win10 versions indeed compress the Windows directory to save space.

Don't worry about it, compression doesn't have any adverse effects on anything. It's not going to slow your computer down, in fact it probably speeds things up since less data needs to be read (that's been my experience anyway).

If you want, you can look at the attributes of each folder and uncheck the compression box, but it's gonna take a while and again you don't need it.

FebPrograms

Prominent
May 8, 2019
Recent Win10 versions indeed compress the Windows directory to save space.

Don't worry about it, compression doesn't have any adverse effects on anything. It's not going to slow your computer down, in fact it probably speeds things up since less data needs to be read (that's been my experience anyway).

If you want, you can look at the attributes of each folder and uncheck the compression box, but it's gonna take a while and again you don't need it.
Is that even true tho? I'm pretty sure it slows things down, thats what most people say anyway.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I'm pretty sure it slows things down, thats what most people say anyway.
It doesn't, at least not if you have a CPU made in this century.

Back in Windows 95 era, compression was slowing things down. Back then CPUs were slow and and Win95 style compression was ineffective, so people keep thinking HDD compression = slow even 25 years later.

These days it does the opposite. Your hard drive, even if you have a super fast SSD, is many orders of magnitude slower than what your CPU can process. And any today's CPU can do compression of this sort with common hard drive speeds thousands times over. Ergo compression overhead won't slow anything down, but will probably speed things up since the drive needs to read less data.

Maybe some things shouldn't be compressed, such as a swap file, generally you can only gain. I have compression enabled on all my computers, including an old Asus Eee 901 with a single-core Atom processor and a super-cheap 8" Win 8.1 tablet.

I mean I don't trust Microsoft with anything, but in this case they finally realized they have a useful feature and enabled it by default. They should've done that back in the age of Vista honestly.