File Explorer and Desktop Crashing causing PC to Reboot but Won't Get Past Black Screen. Haven't Seen This Anywhere Else.

alphabeta1602

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Starting yesterday, my compuer ran into a wall of problems. Everything was pretty fine up until this point. I have a windows computer with the following specs:
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX 970
i5 4440 processor
2TB of disk space
8GB of Ram
It all started when Steam crashed on me and wouldn't start. I opened file explorer in order to fix it but file explorer went into Not Responding. I opened task manager to end File Explorer but task manager went into Not Responding as well. The taskbar wouldn't respond either and my whole desktop went black. My mouse was still there and Chrome was still functioning. I rebooted my pc but could not get past the Acer starting screen. I restarted my pc again and the acer screen appeared for a good minute befreo disappearing leaving me with a black screen and my mouse. I restarted again and it got past all of the booting and got to my desktop. Tried Steam again, it crashed and repeat the entire process again. My pc is currently on the black screen after the Acer starting screen. Any help is appreciated!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have seen it before... though not caused by steam.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if you can get to desktop, perhaps not run steam so quickly. lets see why its happening
can you run HD Tune Trial , just look at the health screen, let it finish its scan and show smart scores
explorer was clearly waiting for something to respond as that is why it stopped responding and desktop went black. It could be hdd or graphics card

try running this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

this scans system files and may fix this behaviour. will check if its windows or not.

alphabeta1602

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
It started to repair but in the end it gave me an error of "Could not repair PC." I did manage to find a temporary fix of ejecting one of my hard drives. I recently bought a new hard drive to hold another TB of space. After taking that out, my PC runs fine now.