Question File explorer crashes computer upon boot

nickthestick123

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
so i have an mildly irritating, unusual and annoying problem. whenever i boot my pc, immediately try to open File explorer, my computer will say in file explorer "working on it" then i get the blue "busy ring" then file explorer will stop responding, then my taskbar will turn to its default color when the computer crashes, i lose my icons and cant open anything else up. I have a custom built computer that i put together almost 3 years ago with no major hardware changes except a 2 TB M.2 PCIe SSD i installed around back in mid december 2019. ive been having this problem probably for the past month or so. its a windows 10 64-bit system that is primarily used for gaming and school work as a secondary function. if you want my pc specs i can provide them although i think this is more to do with software than hardware. same with logs which i think would be more helpful, just walk me through how to get which logs you want. i do take regular backups but i probably have the backup i need overwritten since the time of this problem began. any help you can give im appreciative of

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the specs for your system (make/model of all installed components)?

Is Windows and your major drivers (video, network, motherboard chipset, etc) up to date?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

What are you CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Have you scanned for malware/viruses lately? Installed any apps since this started happening?

nickthestick123

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
What are the specs for your system (make/model of all installed components)?

Is Windows and your major drivers (video, network, motherboard chipset, etc) up to date?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

What are you CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Have you scanned for malware/viruses lately? Installed any apps since this started happening?

ASUS maximus IX hero motherboard
32 GB 2666MHz RAM
i7-7700K CPU
1070 ASUS ROG STRIX GPU
2 TB NVMe PCIe GAMMIX M.2 SSD
650W 80 gold Seagate PSU
4TB seagate (?) redundant HDD (for backup use only)

I always keep my drivers nice and up to date

no OC'ing; i dont play around with that

temps for my CPU idle are in the mid 30 degree C's, 40's for my GPU, and under load it usually hangs around 50-60 for my CPU and the same for my GPU, maybe to the 70's for it

My norton antivirus routinely scans for malware and the like and has found nothing.

after an hour or so the file explorer is fine to use just as anyone else would use it. no sort of crashing or anything

nickthestick123

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
its very possible its a seasonic, i get the two mixed up all the time, and i did that

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.720]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.720

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Last edited:

nickthestick123

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Try scanning your system with Malwarebytes (free version will suffice), just to get a second opinion on malware.

How full are your storage devices?
ill do the scan after class today, and i have 800GB free on my M.2 SSD (thats where my entire pc is stored)

nickthestick123

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
hey, sorry for the late reply, ive been up to by eyes in hw. I still cant get it. the antivirus detected two problems and fixed them but it still happens

Last edited:

nickthestick123

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
This might be in the same family as my current problem so ill post it here. during the time that windows explorer would crash my pc, i also cant drag up on my taskbar icons (dragging up meaning single left mouse button depression, and then while still holding the mouse button, moving the cursor up to show more options for that specific taskbar application) and its just little things that make my experience on my pc very annoying