Question File Explorer Hangs on everything but folders...

theofilos888

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
I have noticed many with this issue, but the reply is the same. Most likely people are copy-pasting others thread to get views, or pretend they know something. The most annoying are those from real Microsoft Employees that use generic responses. So let me get in the details!
When I open file explorer or click on My PC and the explorer opens everything is fine. Even when I right click on folders or double click to open the folders.
Now when I double click on a file(txt, jpg, pdf and any file that is not a folder, the File Explorer says on Top( Not Responding). If I don't move the mouse, it eventually will be OK to click on it again and this time I can see the properties. But opening it takes a very long time. If I manage to drag this file on the Desktop, it opens immediately.
It seems so far that the issue is the File Explorer.
Please don't rush to tell me to System Restore, Safe Mode, CMD in Admin mode, etc...done that all and it is a bunch of BS. This is where I found something that may help someone with more software Knowledge to help me or the others with this issue instead of Reinstalling Windows 10 and all the Software from Scratch.
I created another USER account. File explorer works flawlessly. I go into my Account with the problem and everything is perfect there too. Then I delete the User Account that I created and the problem is back.
Does anyone have any idea? I don't want to have another account just for the heck of File Explorer working fine on my main account.
Thanks in advance!!!

Ralston18

Titan
Start by using "WIN" + "I" (press the Windows key and the "I" key at the same time).

Then select Apps from the Setting's window.

Explore the current settings and options: for example the choosen default apps.

Do so for accounts that have slow responses as well as for accounts that work. Compare configurations.

Look for some difference(s) in the settings - could be a clue of sorts.

= = = =

Also try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism". Either one or both may fix some related Windows issue.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

theofilos888

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Start by using "WIN" + "I" (press the Windows key and the "I" key at the same time).

Then select Apps from the Setting's window.

Explore the current settings and options: for example the choosen default apps.

Do so for accounts that have slow responses as well as for accounts that work. Compare configurations.

Look for some difference(s) in the settings - could be a clue of sorts.

= = = =

Also try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism". Either one or both may fix some related Windows issue.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central
Thanks for the response but all the sfc, dism was nothing but BS. It's the generic answer all microsoft "troubleshooters" say from the Microsoft Bible they are given.
So it seems that I had to post this to find what was the cause. But the reason still remains unknown. If a feature exists, it should work or be debugged if there are
problems.
It was simple as this: From the opened File Explorer, I click on the preview pane on the left and disabled the feature. Immediately everything now works and does not
hang, but unfortunately, I cannot preview.

Ralston18

Titan
What is it that you do to "disable" the preview pane feature?

The preview pane being the choice to left when the View tab is selected?

Are you able to do a couple of screenshots and post the screen shots herein via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

On my system .jpg files preview on the click. Other file types can and do take longer. But they do open.

TRENDING THREADS