[SOLVED] File Explorer hangs on resume from sleep

shutterguy

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
When I wake the pc from sleep mode, I press the File Explorer folder, it opens and hangs. If I exit it, I get the BSOD. Also resuming from sleep my USB external drives (Drobo 5C) are not showing up either. Only option is to hard reset the pc. Ran SFC Checker, it found errors and fixed them, issue still remains.

Specs below:
WIN 10 Pro 1909
ASUS Crosshair Hero VI
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB GPU
Corsair TX750 PSU

Solution
Have you tested the external drives on the other PC?

Do both motherboards have latest bios? or at least, is the possibly suspect one on the newest?

if you have 2 identical motherboards, one way to see if it is the board is swap the parts around. I guess case marks the difference as I was going to suggest marking motherboards so you don't get them mixed up.

tough call whether to swap parts into borked one or out of it into working one.

I would be inclined to swap one part at a time, into working PC. you already know its parts work, so if it starts to have problems, you can identify the cause right away.
remove the 32gb ram and only run 16 while you swap since the ram might be same type, its not a matching set.

also shouldn't be PSU...

Colif

Win 11 Master
What BSOD?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents (if you try to upload from minidump folder you will get permission errors)
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Do you have the latest BIOS for motherboard? Latest AMD Chipset drivers?

AS if hardware having issues, its not normally a windows problem and more likely drivers

shutterguy

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
When File Explorer hangs, I try and close it out with the upper corner X, then I get a blank BSOD. Then nothing responds on the pc.

Followed your instructions I will post from the file next time it happens.

I do have the latest BIOS, just updated the AMD Chipset Drivers.

shutterguy

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Well a Windows reinstall didn't fix anything, the problem returned. Also for some reason at random the display and audio (both coming from the GPU) will cut out. I purchased a new PSU and GPU, same issue. I am thinking I might have an issue with my motherboard. GPU has the latest drivers from Nvidia.

I should add that I have 2 identical ASUS motherboards, both have the same chip, ram sticks models (one has 16gb the other has 32gb), and windows build. The one I am having issues with (PC1) has a Corsair water cooler, the other (PC2) has the stock Ryzen 7 cooler.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tested the external drives on the other PC?

Do both motherboards have latest bios? or at least, is the possibly suspect one on the newest?

if you have 2 identical motherboards, one way to see if it is the board is swap the parts around. I guess case marks the difference as I was going to suggest marking motherboards so you don't get them mixed up.

tough call whether to swap parts into borked one or out of it into working one.

I would be inclined to swap one part at a time, into working PC. you already know its parts work, so if it starts to have problems, you can identify the cause right away.
remove the 32gb ram and only run 16 while you swap since the ram might be same type, its not a matching set.

also shouldn't be PSU and GPU since they new. less parts to swap around. Not many parts left really.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS