[SOLVED] File explorer not opening any windows/folders?

Feb 18, 2021
Recently I ran into this problem which I never experienced before. The windows10 file explorer doesn't open any windows/folders. I can view the little preview image of the folder by hovering the cursor over the taskbar icon, but the window itself never opens. I tried stopping the explorer process then running it again, to no avail. I tried starting the pc on safe mode and the file explorer did work, but it doesn't work in a normal boot. I can use the task bar and search bar, and programs ran fine, but i can't open any windows.

It did, in fact, get updated recently, but that problem didn't start after the update, it just started today, days after the last update.

Edit: i didn't make any changes to the file explorer, it's still in its default configurations.

Solution
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

try running chkdsk on C drive
Feb 18, 2021
How old are the computer? Maybe a reinstall of windows will help. It depends what causes the issue, if it's a malware problem, hardware problem or just the windows installation going bad somehow?
The system i just a little over one year and a half, just your regular office desktop setup.
I'll try doing an update rollback for now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

try running chkdsk on C drive

Solution

TRENDING THREADS