[SOLVED] File Explorer Properties issue

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
In Windows Explorer, if I check the properties of my D: drive (it's a separate hard drive) by right-clicking and selecting Properties, it will show 357 GB used.

But if I open the D: drive in Explorer, select all the folders and select Properties, it shows only 190 GB used, a difference of 167 GB. Any idea what's going on?

The Recycle Bin is empty. I used WinDirStat to scan the D: Drive, and it also shows 190 GB used. Disk Management also shows 357 GB used.

Do you have Volume Shadow Copy turned on or some other System Restore backup function? You could use the Disk Cleanup, Cleanup System Files option , and the More Options setting to delete Volume Shadow copies and Restore points, if you're sure that you don't need them.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
here you go... It's drive D: that I am having issues with...

fNtCJWA.jpg
gvQzrua.jpg

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Drive 4 is made up of three spanned 5TB Toshiba drives. Only the My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos and My Music folders are relocated to the D: Drive. The actual users folder is still on the C: Drive.

On a side note, my PC got corrupted somehow and I was forced to do a repair in Windows by doing a rebuild, keeping the old data.

USAFRet

Titan
That seems inordinately complex.

3x 5TB drives would span to a 15TB thing. As sort of but not really seen in your Disk Management.

But relocating the Libraries used to be sort of a good idea.
Applications and Windows has gotten really good at using multiple drives/partitions. No need to forcibly relocate.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I could not delete the System Volume Information folder no matter what i did. Even taking full control of the folder did not work. I could view the contents but I could not delete them... I ended up replacing the hard drive with a spare. I copied the files from the original drive to another drive and back to the new hard drive. So the space problem is resolved. Thanks for all the help...

My final issue is with Windows backup... Every time when I try to do a backup using Windows Backup, I get an error 0x80070015 "The device is not ready", whether I do a full system image or a backup. I had this problem several months before I replaced the hard drive so i know it is not the issue.

I recently did a full reinstall of Windows at the beginning of the month and that did not resolve the issue. Any ideas? Thanks again...

Another puzzle for you... Why does Disk Management show six partitions on my boot drive (disk 5)?

USAFRet

Titan
My final issue is with Windows backup... Every time when I try to do a backup using Windows Backup, I get an error 0x80070015 "The device is not ready", whether I do a full system image or a backup. I had this problem several months before I replaced the hard drive so i know it is not the issue.

Do yourself a favor.

Don't use Windows Backup. Microsoft has issued an advisory stating that users should use a third party application instead. Windows Backup is officially being "deprecated" by Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-deprecated-features

System Image Backup (SIB) SolutionWe recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.

It has always been very testy, finicky, and inflexible. A lot of quirks that come back to bite you. It sorta "works" if you know the quirks, but few do and MS says use something else.

Maybe use Macrium Reflect for system backup and a dedicated file by file backup program for personal data backup.

Last edited: