Question file extension added on to files on old hard drive

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Hey guys, I found an old hard drive and it still works! The problem is that all of the files on it have the extension .aep added onto them. The old extensions are there as well. It's just that all of the files now have .aep added onto them. I tried just taking off the extension. The Icon came back the problem is that when I start the file up in the correct program the data is corrupted. what do I do?
Thanks in advance.

Jim

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Yes this is mine. I looked up the extension .aep and they said adobe after effects. I guess the hard drive was my old backup.. Now to figure out which program I used. I think it was freeware I don't remember using that program at all. But I am a tinkerer by nature. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't read all the way down. I appreciate that..

USAFRet

Titan
It's not just the software needed, but also you must know the password to decrypt.

Yes this is mine. I looked up the extension .aep and they said adobe after effects. I guess the hard drive was my old backup.. Now to figure out which program I used. I think it was freeware I don't remember using that program at all. But I am a tinkerer by nature. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't read all the way down. I appreciate that..

It is likely you had a virus on that system that encrypted the files. There is no way "every file" would be created with adobe, unless you don't actually mean "every file", and you would not have dual extensions on them either.