File hosting from home

istvanwells

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hello

Like subject says. I'm wondering how (free) to host files from home.
I have one of the popular ISP, FiOS. I was hoping to learn and figure out how to host a website and its content. Friend is using godaddy 35/month, the site is simple. Has 5 " tabs " with image gallery and ofc text. So far used kompzilla/ filezilla ( I haven't touched it in 8 months)/so I could be of on name. However I remember not liking it, that could be because I never learned how to use. So please put some inputs . thanks !

Solution
Most residential ISP agreements have clause about not hosting/providing servers on the line. I would check that as they could terminate your contract or ask you to move to one of their business plans. You could as mentioned by usafret, run a web server on a machine on your network, then use maybe a DDNS service to get a hostname attached to your dynamic ip address.

This would let you upload/download files from a webpage at a domain or IP address from anywhere. Be careful on configuring your router and the server as you are making your network more susceptible to attack(websites are easy to find, once found automated tools may try to exploit poorly implemented settings to gain entrance to your network/web server.

Not really super...

USAFRet

Titan

1. Bad idea.
2. Verizon FiOS TOS does not like this.
3. You just have to learn about building a website, and the DMZ functions of your router. Which FiOS router do you have?

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Most residential ISP agreements have clause about not hosting/providing servers on the line. I would check that as they could terminate your contract or ask you to move to one of their business plans. You could as mentioned by usafret, run a web server on a machine on your network, then use maybe a DDNS service to get a hostname attached to your dynamic ip address.

This would let you upload/download files from a webpage at a domain or IP address from anywhere. Be careful on configuring your router and the server as you are making your network more susceptible to attack(websites are easy to find, once found automated tools may try to exploit poorly implemented settings to gain entrance to your network/web server.

Not really super dangerous, but I would be aware of that. It is unlikely anyone would care that much to break in.

Solution