File impossible to use and remove.

Morten Jespersen

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
I have a single file on my PC that I simply cannot touch. I can mark it and nothing bad will happen but if I right click it, Explorer simply freezes completely and requires a restart through task manager or outright crashes and restarts itself. No Bluescreen fortunately.

on top of this, my folder is stuck in an infinite loop of loading the file and most of the time crashes when it reaches the specific file.

I've tried using third party file removers and some of them report successful removals while the file is still intact while others simply fail. I've also tried starting windows in Safe mode and remove it. The file is in the .mp3 format and, as mentioned earlier, is the only file on my PC with that problem

Morten Jespersen

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

ever since I downloaded the file (from a credible source) i've been through about 40 scans with multiple anti-vira, Anti-malware and anti-spyware software. I've had this file stuck for a while.

what exactly is a chkdsk (check disk i assume)? are you refering to a harddrive error scan?

Yes, chkdsk.exe is the executable for check disk. You can run it from the prompt, or under Tools in your hard drive properties. It would be called Error-checking there. It will probably require a restart since it can't repair an open volume. It sounds like you have some sort of file system corruption. With any luck that's all it is, rather than something more serious like a hard drive going bad. You can download software from your hard drive manufacturer and run a SMART check too.

Morten Jespersen

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Currently my file is in the download directory, i have no idea how to acces it directly and get its specific directory link.

Morten Jespersen

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Didn't work. get the same problem as trying to delete it normally where the process of removing it just freezes in an infinite loop

Morten Jespersen

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

I have no idea how to initiate it as i am completely lost in the bloody windows 10 layout...

I can memorize everything from Windows 7 and windows 8, but bloody 10 have mixed it around so much that I basically have to relearn it... it doesn't help either that my layout is in danish and 99% of guides are in English.

what especially doesn't help is that the translation to danish isn't always 1:1. so I would search the translated phrase that is the most direct in comparison to the English layout while still being grammatically correct and it turns out it's called something entirely different.

any help finding it would be very appreciated. links to guides, pictures etc.