When I try to open a XL file from a common directory on a network
drive I get the message File is locked for editing etc. No one
has the file open. We're a small office so I checked everyone.
I can open other Excel files in the same folder just fine. The
folder is mark for full control for all domain users.
Any ideas how to get the lock off this file?

gls858

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> When I try to open a XL file from a common directory on a
> network
> drive I get the message File is locked for editing etc. No one
>
> has the file open. We're a small office so I checked everyone.
> I can open other Excel files in the same folder just fine. The
>
> folder is mark for full control for all domain users.
> Any ideas how to get the lock off this file?
>
> gls858

Restart the computer it is stored on.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-file-locked-editing-ftopict414934.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1382668

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:52:52 -0500, gls858 wrote:

> When I try to open a XL file from a common directory on a network
> drive I get the message File is locked for editing etc. No one
> has the file open. We're a small office so I checked everyone.
> I can open other Excel files in the same folder just fine. The
> folder is mark for full control for all domain users.
> Any ideas how to get the lock off this file?
>
> gls858

I have a vague recollection of an Office or Windows bug that was eventually
fixed with an update. It applied only to Office files (not other file
types) reporting false "file is locked" status when accessing the files on
a network share. You could ask in the Excel forums about this problem. The
folks there would be more familiar with the details and resolution.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon F wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:52:52 -0500, gls858 wrote:
>

>>When I try to open a XL file from a common directory on a network
>>drive I get the message File is locked for editing etc. No one
>>has the file open. We're a small office so I checked everyone.
>>I can open other Excel files in the same folder just fine. The
>>folder is mark for full control for all domain users.
>>Any ideas how to get the lock off this file?
>>
>>gls858
>

> I have a vague recollection of an Office or Windows bug that was eventually
> fixed with an update. It applied only to Office files (not other file
> types) reporting false "file is locked" status when accessing the files on
> a network share. You could ask in the Excel forums about this problem. The
> folks there would be more familiar with the details and resolution.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I did find a KB article
concerning this but it didn't seem to apply. We solved the problem
by renaming and copying the file to another directory.

gls858