file locations

msm

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Hi:

I have a user that continually deletes files, like the history file on their
PC. Is there a way configure the PC to save these files to a file server as
well as the local PC in such a way that if they delete the files on the local
PC, it will not delete the files on the file server?

Mark M.
--
Thank you for you help

MSM wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a user that continually deletes files, like the history file on their
> PC. Is there a way configure the PC to save these files to a file server as
> well as the local PC in such a way that if they delete the files on the local
> PC, it will not delete the files on the file server?
>
> Mark M.

Is the problem that they delete files which the Operating system needs
or ones that they create and need (like documents)?

If the former then you could try to limit their rights to those files
with security. You could also take an image of the machine so that you
can recreate it in a hurry if you need to.

If the latter then force them to save them on a file sever and rely on
your backups; but whatever you do make sure that they understand that
recovering stuff from tapes is a long and complex job which takes a good
couple of days (we always do this as otherwise the users get too
cavalier about deleting stuff).