File / Network sharing

XP Pro, SP2.

Shared documents folder contents only allows read access to local users
(which are admin level). If this folder is shared on the network, files
become fully accessible but also visible on the network which is not
desired. Removing the network sharing causes the files to revert to read
only for local users.

Any suggestions where to look to fix this problem please?

Thanks!

Geoff

Default Permissions for Shared Folders Is Read-Only Access for Everyone:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328065

Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040): http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0/40.ASP

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"GBH" <geoff.hamilton1@NOSPAMTHANXntlworld.com> wrote in message news:Xqube.8720$vU4.566@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Shared documents folder contents only allows read access to local users (which are admin level). If this folder is shared on the
> network, files become fully accessible but also visible on the network which is not desired. Removing the network sharing causes
> the files to revert to read only for local users.
>
> Any suggestions where to look to fix this problem please?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Geoff

Thanks for the response. I have tried removing read only from the folder
settings but it always reverts to read only. I guess this is a limitation of
Simple File Sharing.

Thanks

> Thanks for the response. I have tried removing read only from the folder
> settings but it always reverts to read only. I guess this is a limitation
> of Simple File Sharing.
>
> Thanks

You are going about it the wrong way. You need to use the security tab to
add the local users and give them the needed permissions. Folders always
show as read only. Even if you change this with the attrib command if the
users don't have the needed permissions they will still only have read only
access to the files. Are the users logging on locally or are they using
domain accounts? If locally you would add the MACHINE_NAME\Users group and
give them full control or whatever permissions are needed. If they are using
domain accounts then you would add DOMAIN_NAME\group_name.

Kerry

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Default Permissions for Shared Folders Is Read-Only Access for Everyone:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328065
>>
>> Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040):
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0/40.ASP
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp
>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "GBH" <geoff.hamilton1@NOSPAMTHANXntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> XP Pro, SP2.
>>>
>>> Shared documents folder contents only allows read access to local users
>>> (which are admin level). If this folder is shared on the network, files
>>> become fully accessible but also visible on the network which is not
>>> desired. Removing the network sharing causes the files to revert to read
>>> only for local users.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions where to look to fix this problem please?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Geoff

The read only attrib does Not prevent write access to those who 'own' the object. XP's 'read only' reflects only the fact that it
must be 'owned' to write to it.

--

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
> "GBH" <geoff.hamilton1@NOSPAMTHANXntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the response. I have tried removing read only from the folder
>> settings but it always reverts to read only. I guess this is a limitation
>> of Simple File Sharing.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> You are going about it the wrong way. You need to use the security tab to
<snip>

Kerry ... Simple file sharing doesnt have this facility.

What is strange about this scenario is that there are 3 local users of this
machine who each need to update the same document, hence its position in the
Shared Folder. What is crazy is that all users only have Read access ....
and it only seems to be a problem on that particular machine. I could always
drop simple file sharing and assign the rights as you indicate.

Thanks

Geoff

> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>> "GBH" <geoff.hamilton1@NOSPAMTHANXntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the response. I have tried removing read only from the folder
>>> settings but it always reverts to read only. I guess this is a
>>> limitation of Simple File Sharing.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> You are going about it the wrong way. You need to use the security tab to
> <snip>
>
> Kerry ... Simple file sharing doesnt have this facility.
>
> What is strange about this scenario is that there are 3 local users of
> this machine who each need to update the same document, hence its position
> in the Shared Folder. What is crazy is that all users only have Read
> access .... and it only seems to be a problem on that particular machine.
> I could always drop simple file sharing and assign the rights as you
> indicate.
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

I missed the part in your original post about simple file sharing. If they
have local admin rights they should have read/write (level 3) access to
Shared Documents. If they don't something has gone wrong with the
permissions. I'd try disabling simple file sharing, set the permissions,
then re-enable simple file sharing. I've never tried it but don't see any
reason why it wouldn't work.

Kerry

Problem solved. Done thus
Removed network share.
disabled simple file sharing
set access for everyone to all (had to add them as there were no entries)
enabled simple file sharing
Now no shares on network but all local users have access.

Thanks for the hints'n'tips!