File or directory is corrupted or unreadable

abela

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
my pc recognizes the drive but i can not open the hard drive it reads"file or directory is corrupted or unreadable" the hardrive is a WD (about 10 yrs old) and is external,contains valuable files (such as pictures,back ups,music and some programs .adress book with hundreds of phones and direccions,etc.)can anybody tell me how can I recup. this drive?

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Immediately stop trying to use the drive. Attach the drive to another working computer as a secondary drive. Run R-Studio, (r-tt.com), image the drive to another good drive and work with the image. You should be able to scan the image for its contents and retrieve anything that is readable from the drive. Make sure you keep good backups of anything that is really important to you.

this is why you should always have 2 or more copies of anything important, especially on a 10 year old drive that only has a 5-8 year life expectancy.
R-studio can do the trick to get what you have off before more corruption sets in, but if you have further corrupt files that you want to recover from the original disc then you should try easeus free edition:
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm
Simple to use, and saved my life twice so far. They also have great free disc management software as well.

abela

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

hey! thank you very much for yr help .I will try yr sugestion and will let you know...Thanks Again

abela

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

thank you very much for yr sugested plan of action,i will try it and let you know how it goes.Thanks again