Question file permissions issue

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I reinstalled my OS about two months ago. I just bought two new SSDs and I'd like to copy the old files over. I keep getting permission access issues. These are easily solved by going into the Security tab, making the Administrator the file owner, delete all inheritance, and then add two new inheritances which is the Administrator and Users.

But I have to do this for every single file and it is extremely tiring. There has to be a better way to do this. When I try to do it for a folder, I am able to access the folder but it gives me access errors to the individual files in the folder.

I tried to reference the information in this link but it didn't work:
https://community.spiceworks.com/to...-on-multiple-files-in-the-same-folder-at-once

Thoughts?

I'm on Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you want to clone win 10 onto the new ssd or just copy files off the boot drive and put them on a new install of win 10 that is on new ssd?

if clone -
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...thy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

if you have win 10 on new ssd and just want to move files from old install to new one, you could try this and avoid permission problems
with both new and old drives in PC, boot off new one I guess (it doesn't really matter)
on login screen, click the power button in bottom right of screen
while holding left shift, click the restart option
this restarts win 10 in advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you want to move from old ssd to new one.

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Excuse me, I should have explained this more clearly.

I already have one 256GB SSD, which is the boot drive for my system. There are no problems with the drive.

I also have three HDDs. Two are internal and the third one is in an external enclosure. The files/folders I mentioned above are on these old HDDs. I think the second option you wrote above is what I will do. However, I still have the headache of trying to figure out which physical drive equates to which letter drive in Windows.

As soon as I can figure out which drive is which letter in Windows then I will use the cables for the non-pertinent drives to connect the SSD and complete the step you mentioned above. Then, I guess I will need to completely wipe the drive after I have removed files I need. Any suggestions for the most effective way to do that? I was thinking just use Ccleaner.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Oh, I see, so ssd are replacing the hdd

Yes, 2nd option is likely easiest as it ignores permissions since you not logged into windows. Its also probably cleaner than cloning all the contents of 3 drives onto two. It might just take a while. Even onto ssd, their buffers are only so large.

easiest way to wipe drive is also in the same CMD window
in Command Prompt, Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter
The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
@Colif - Sorry for the late reply but I thought this issue was solved until I finally had a moment to restore the drive after completing the steps you mentioned above regarding the Command Prompt copy method. That method allowed to copy the files but the file permissions issue is still there. This is driving me crazy and I'm not sure how to fix this other than changing the file permissions for each file one by one which is going to take forever.

I am currently in Safe Mode and I tried to change the owner of that drive to Everyone. Then, I deleted almost all of the other users but the file permissions issue will not allow this method to work.

Any other solutions you think could remedy this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what files have permissions on them? the copies? it shouldn't be the originals if you using cmd outside of windows.

when I reinstalled win 10 on my current PC in Feb I had to take ownership of all the folders on old hdd. I guess you are doing the opposite, your PC already knew who owned the files on other drives, and now its seeing them again.

I will see if anyone else has any ideas.

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
It's pretty random and all over the place and yes, both the copies and the originals have the file permission issue. From what I have been reading, this issue seems to be from some update that I did long ago.

When I tried to restore the backup I created using the method you mentioned earlier in the thread, it restored some files but many others yielded the "Access Denied" error.

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
@SgtScream - I tried that multiple times and each time it yielded the same result, "Access Denied".

I also tried:
  1. removing all the Users from the User Group field except the Owner, Administrator and System and then changing the owner of the drive to Everyone. I then tried to give Everyone full control over the drive with inheritance enabled. Didn't work.
  2. disabling UAC and then repeating the above.
  3. repeating all of the above in Safe Mode.
None of the above methods worked. This is a very stubborn issue to fix. Especially since I'm not at home and I'm having to talk my poor old wife through the steps to fix this.

Note:
Before I went into Safe Mode, I was able to complete the above three steps myself by remoting in to my desktop (Teamviewer). However, I can't remote into a Safe Mode session so I had to talk her through these steps. It is extremely tiring since she knows very little about computers and was moving at a snail's pace lest she break something.

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
@SgtScream - Here is the error that shows after I check the inheritance box:

An error occurred while applying security information to:
[folder name]
Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

I checked Event Viewer but it is difficult to understand. I didn't see anything but Information messages in the Application log but in the System Log I saw few Warnings like this:

{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}and APPID{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}to the user DESKTOP-#######\#### SID (S-1-5-21-1034026034-3303610835-2767044484-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.18362.329_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I don't know if this is relevant but I didn't really see any other Warnings and the Errors that I saw were regarding Acrobat.

TRENDING THREADS