File/Phone Backup Server

Doogals

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
I would like to setup a local server for backing up files (photos, documents, etc.) that would also be used for automatic phone backups over wifi (using iTunes).

My original plan was putting together an inexpensive PC using a motherboard with integrated processor, connected to a SSD running Windows 10, with an array of WD Blue 3.5" drives for storage.

It does not need Cloud access, but maybe a NAS array could be configured to handle this job? Although, seems like it would be easier for me to configure everything inside an OS like Windows 10.

Before I get too far ahead of myself wanted to seek some advice on the best approach here. Thanks!

Solution

I personally have had a much better experience with my dedicated NAS over using a...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

I personally have had a much better experience with my dedicated NAS over using a Windows system as a storage server. I don't have anything against Windows, but a NAS OS is far more versatile and streamlined for network storage, and I feel is easier to setup and more reliable. I'm using Open Media Vault (similar to FreeNAS) on a +10 year old PC, which has been a reliable media server, backup server and IP cam storage for a few years now. You'll find a dedicated NAS can run with fairly low expense on lightweight hardware, but you may want to invest in WD Reds at minimum, especially if considering a RAID setup.

I don't have any experience with the off-the-shelf NAS systems, but I believe you'll find past posts from users who have had positive things to say about Qnap and Synology systems.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS