[SOLVED] File recovery after formatting (windows 7 to 10)

Kayeye

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I’m trying to help my sister here (remotely), but she was having, what she thought were, issues with the HD in her computer. She took it in to a shop, and returned her computer back to her with Windows 10 on it. I can’t remember what she had, but it was either Vista or 7 on it at the time. She says she can’t find any documents or pictures she had, and the shop stated that it’s the same hard drive. She also said there was not a windows.old folder on there, so I assume it was a complete format of the drive.

Having said that, is it possible for her to recover anything that used to be there?

I’m trying to help my sister here (remotely), but she was having, what she thought were, issues with the HD in her computer. She took it in to a shop, and returned her computer back to her with Windows 10 on it. I can’t remember what she had, but it was either Vista or 7 on it at the time. She says she can’t find any documents or pictures she had, and the shop stated that it’s the same hard drive. She also said there was not a windows.old folder on there, so I assume it was a complete format of the drive.

Having said that, is it possible for her to recover anything that used to be there?
Depends on what was done and how much she wants to spend. There is software that you can use to restore deleted files, since deleting a file is only marking it for over writing, but that software is expensive and you might only get parts of the old files. That being said if anything was written over during the install of Windows 10 then those files will be lost.