[SOLVED] File Recovery from Drive with Unmountable Boot Volume Error

Fuzzpuff

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I have what seems like a fairly generic question (which may be why I couldn't find any previous answers).

So, yesterday I fired up my computer to find that my Windows 7 install had become corrupt and was stuck in the Unmountable Boot Volume BSOD loop. Unfortunately, none of the solutions I could find would work. FORTUNATELY, I was planning on slowly buying new parts over the course of the year for a new build. This just moved my time table up and resulted in me getting everything at once: mobo, RAM, CPU, SSD, and Windows 10.

I've now got a brand new SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. It's not fully set up just yet. When I left for work this morning it was done installing and at the initial setup asking to select the region. I do know from jumping into the BIOS to change the boot sequence that the new setup is still recognizing my HDD with the boot error.

My question is, once I get Windows 10 completely set up, will I be able to simply recover my files from my old HDD like I would any other secondary storage? The boot error is just specific to the actual loading of the operating system and not necessarily my actual files right?

Solution
First of all, make sure to remove the HDD while installing Windows on the SSD. If the HHD is in working condition Windows setup will copy boot files to it even though you might have selected the SSD.
If only the OS is corrupted and the HDD has not failed mechanically you should be able to access the files on it.
First of all, make sure to remove the HDD while installing Windows on the SSD. If the HHD is in working condition Windows setup will copy boot files to it even though you might have selected the SSD.
If only the OS is corrupted and the HDD has not failed mechanically you should be able to access the files on it.

Solution

Fuzzpuff

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Even though I've booted directly from the Windows 10 USB install drive and specifically selected "New Install" on a brand new drive? And even though the two drives would have different OSs on them?

Yes.
Windows 10 could randomly write boot files to any connect disk during the installation process.

Fuzzpuff

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Well. Poopy. I guess I'll be clearing my new SSD and starting over again with the new Windows 10 install when I get home.

Thank you for the heads up!

TRENDING THREADS