File Share Without Internet

bryantnelson12

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Hello All,
I will be competing in a competition where internet is not allowed. My group needs a way to file share without using applications like Google drive and Dropbox. I was thinking about using an old computer as a file server, but I have no idea on how to do that. Any Advice?
I will need to share between 6 computers.

Solution
A network switch with no internet connectivity will allow all the connected computers to share files. You will have to statically configure the network parameters since you have no DHCP server. No separate file server is required. Any connected computer can share their resources.

bryantnelson12

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018

The computer I was thinking about using runs on Windows 7, but I can upgrade that to Windows 10 if needed.
It is a school competition for Construction Management.

bryantnelson12

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018

I am confused. The file sharing without internet is needed so we can share files over the duration of a 12 hour period. The reason we do not have internet is because they don't want us googling the answers. The file share has nothing to do with the actual competition, it is for sending information gathered by the team to be sent to a main computer and put on a master spreadsheet.

Hope this helps, I am not trying to cheat or bend the rules here :)

Then I'd recommend you set up a homegroup if you're using Windows 7 and share data that way. That's probably going to take some Googling as well though, so again, I don't know the specifics of your rules, but it seems like any outside help IS cheating. I'd assume you're expected to KNOW how to share without getting outside help with it, so in that sense it IS part of the assignment. Still not going to help further than I already have.

kanewolf

Titan
A network switch with no internet connectivity will allow all the connected computers to share files. You will have to statically configure the network parameters since you have no DHCP server. No separate file server is required. Any connected computer can share their resources.

Solution