File sharing between domain and workgroup

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Hi guys, Ok here is the scenario. I have a desktop at home which is part of a
workgroup called RIKNET. I'm also a college student therefore I get a laptop
from college each semester to work on and return at the end of the semester.
Up until last semester, these laptops were part of a workgroup called
SHERNET2K. Therefore I was able to fileshare between my home PC and the
laptop by chaning my home PC workgroup to SHERNET2K. But now, these laptops
are part of a domain called SHERNETXP. I would like to do some file and
printer sharing between my home pc and the laptop. I have an admin account on
the laptop and offcourse on my home pc. What are my options?

Malke

Ricky wrote:

> Hi guys, Ok here is the scenario. I have a desktop at home which is
> part of a workgroup called RIKNET. I'm also a college student
> therefore I get a laptop from college each semester to work on and
> return at the end of the semester. Up until last semester, these
> laptops were part of a workgroup called SHERNET2K. Therefore I was
> able to fileshare between my home PC and the laptop by chaning my home
> PC workgroup to SHERNET2K. But now, these laptops are part of a domain
> called SHERNETXP. I would like to do some file and printer sharing
> between my home pc and the laptop. I have an admin account on the
> laptop and offcourse on my home pc. What are my options?

From MVP Lanwench referring to using a domain laptop in your home
workgroup:

Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
line:

net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers