Question File sharing broken after router change

creasy1132

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Hello guys,
I am experiencing a weird problem with my network at home. I am using a desktop computer for file storage and share these within my network. I used to access the files from a laptop. I got a new router from my ISP and since then it doesn't work properly anymore. I still can see the desktop pc in the network even the files but when I try to execute them it does nothing. Any hints please what is wrong? Desktop pc is on win10, laptop win7. Thanks a lot!

Hello guys,
I am experiencing a weird problem with my network at home. I am using a desktop computer for file storage and share these within my network. I used to access the files from a laptop. I got a new router from my ISP and since then it doesn't work properly anymore. I still can see the desktop pc in the network even the files but when I try to execute them it does nothing. Any hints please what is wrong? Desktop pc is on win10, laptop win7. Thanks a lot!
Depends on what share method you are using.

Some routers support windows for workgrouos and if the new router is configured differently for workgrops then you will have problems. To be honest workgeoups isnt as secure as it should be and even microsoft is abandoning in for windows 10. Check your router logs and see if its being blocked. (Doubtful but possible)

That said if you are using file sharing with user permissions make sure you try to access the share with the appropriate account and password.

A third possibility is your anti virus is blocking the access. Check the logs there.

creasy1132

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Hey,
actually got an update on the behaviour. after some testing - the files are executed but terribly slow - 1 frame/minute, txt file opened in 20sec or so. Sharing between win7 laptops works fine within the network. The problematic seems to be the win10 desktop connected via cable.
password protected sharing is switched off, read permission is set for "everyone".
tested with firewall and antivirus off with no change.

creasy1132

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Depends on what share method you are using.

Some routers support windows for workgrouos and if the new router is configured differently for workgrops then you will have problems. To be honest workgeoups isnt as secure as it should be and even microsoft is abandoning in for windows 10. Check your router logs and see if its being blocked. (Doubtful but possible)

That said if you are using file sharing with user permissions make sure you try to access the share with the appropriate account and password.

A third possibility is your anti virus is blocking the access. Check the logs there.

I have switched on router log and there were no denials. The connection between the two IPs assigned to my machines was allowed. I am running out of ideas :(

kanewolf

Titan
Hey,
actually got an update on the behaviour. after some testing - the files are executed but terribly slow - 1 frame/minute, txt file opened in 20sec or so. Sharing between win7 laptops works fine within the network. The problematic seems to be the win10 desktop connected via cable.
password protected sharing is switched off, read permission is set for "everyone".
tested with firewall and antivirus off with no change.
You will have to determine if all connectivity between the two hosts is slow or just windows shares. You can use iperf to measure the basic networking speed between the two hosts

Reactions: digitalgriffin